Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apples  (Read 3458 times)

rikkib

• Joined Sep 2010
Apples
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:41:31 pm »
Any body know if crab apples are ok for soay to eat one ewe seems to be very quiet since eating some

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Apples
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »
They're not poisonous but they can cause bloat. Which can make them uncomfortable and it rights itself, or it can be very bad and kill them.

This is what you do if you think it's the latter.

Making sure she swallows, not inhales any of the below:
Syringe 40ml of vegetable oil followed by two teaspoons of bicarb of soda (baking powder) mixed with water.

The oil flattens the froth that happens in bloat, allows gas out of both ends! The bicarb helps get the rumen back to its proper pH.

Follow up with Pro-Rumen or since it's the weekend if you can't get it, live yoghurt watered down and syringed in.

Any significant change of diet can cause bloat, the rumen bugs react badly to having to digest different things.

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »
Milk of magnesia washed down with dioralyte. Make sure it goes down into the rumen, tube and funnel required. Amazing how quick they get back on their feet. If you just leave them to get better they can give up and die, or just get better.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »
Mine have been scoffing them like crazy since on Autumn grazing..... no ill side effects at all apart from their new found rudeness at not being coaxed into the barn with treats now as they prefer scoffing apples to beet/nuts etc etc. wHEN THE APPLES RUN OUT THEY WILL BE MY PERFECT LITTLE BUCKET TRAINED SHEEPAGES AGAIN! Ooops...sorry about caps lock left on!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:17 am »
We have crab apples, cooking apples and damsons in our hedges and have gone into many a panic as our Soay munch them - so far no problems  :fc: . They stripped the damsons last year from the lower branches  :o . Can only guess that in general they self-regulate.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:43:34 am »
Mine self regulate quite happily on plums cherries elderberries   pears blueberries etc apples - eating varieties ( i feed a bucketful every day or so) no off looking sheep and if they get too many they just leave them on the ground not so sure about crab apples they strike me as rather inedible.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS