Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stoat attack  (Read 3269 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Stoat attack
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:21:19 pm »
Hi everyone ,
not a good day here , this afternoon one of my young banties ( about 4 months old ) was killed by a stoat . I was upstairs and heard a sqwarking noise  , looked out of the window and saw this stoat latched on to her . By the time I got to her and scared the stoat off the deed was done . I knew there were stoats around as I've noticed one now and again for a while now , and have seen evidence of them trying to dig into the chicken coops at night . All the chooks are free range during the day . This is the first time I've  seen a  blatant attack in broad day light . Does anyone know how to deal with a stoat problem ?
Any comments and advise , much appreciated.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Stoat attack
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:32:45 pm »
We have lost a handful of small hens to a stoat family over the summer.  However, my attitude is that the stoats are rather wonderful, especially the cheeky babies, and they are not greedy like foxes, and kill only for their survival rather than for fun like foxes and humans.
We are protecting our hens a bit better now and hoping the stoats will concentrate on ridding us of the rabbits            :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:07:44 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:06:04 pm »
Yes, although I have lost the odd pheasant to one, I rather like them and i sort of hope they also eat rats?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »
we had one and it used to steal the hens eggs but leave the hens, so think it does only kill for food at least our one! It only stole blue eggs tho, my theory is that the blue ones were more like wild birds eggs and so favoured. Literally 100% taken were blue and we found a huge stash of shells and Mr Stoat some time later.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:52 pm »
Our cats kill stoats (4 so far this year) so maybe get yourself an Egyptian Mau
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Will.i.lamb

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:33:48 pm »
Hi

I would recommend getting a fen trap No 4, stick it in a box with a smallish hole at each end and put it against your hen run. Being very inquisitive creatures you should have no problem catching the blighter.

Don't be fooled by their small size, they are a fearsome predator.

A few years ago i used to see one hanging about the garden. I ignored as never thought it was a problem. Everything was fine until the cold weather arrived and the stoats food supply dried up and it turned it's attention to the hens, killed 4 and seriously injured another in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:36:07 am »
Our cats kill stoats (4 so far this year) so maybe get yourself an Egyptian Mau

My half Siamese boy was a menace to stoats, too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS