Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Historical vandalism - Disney cremate antique spinning wheels for movie  (Read 6295 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Woodland Turnery (the folks with the big stand next to Spinners' Corner at the Festival) have managed to track down the remains of some of those wheels bought up by Disney for Tim Burton's Sleeping Beauty movie.  (We now discover it's called Maleficent.)

Joan has confirmed that they have met up with a bloke who bought up 60+ wheels for Disney.  Disney took the 44 best and most antique and burnt them.   :o :rant: :'(  The ones Disney rejected are now in such bad shape (stuffed into bin bags, most of 'em, pieces all jumbled up...) that all but one are irrecoverable.   :'(  Woodland have bought the one salvageable one and are restoring it.

The handspinning community is hurting badly about the loss of these craftsman-made beautiful old wheels.  But we don't know what to do - we can boycott the movie, of course, but Disney won't care a jot.  We could stage a demo outside the premiere - but that'd just increase the publicity (maybe) which, if it happened, would be to Disney's benefit.

And nothing we do can bring those beautiful old wheels back to life, in any case.  :'(

I have written a post on Facebook and asked everyone to share it to at least spread the word.  Other than that I guess I just wanted to  :rant: amongst people who'd understand.  :'(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Historical vandalism - Disney cremate antique spinning wheels for movie
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:40:17 am »
Oh, that is sooo sad.  If they were going to burn them why on earth couldn't their props people make them.  :(
Unfortunately I don't think there is anything we can do and we certainly can't bring the burnt ones back to life.  :rant:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:23 am »
Bloody heathens :rant:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:11 am »
Bloody heathens :rant:

My thought exactly  :furious:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:25:37 am »
They must be making too much money with these films, to be so uncaring about what they do...

Idiots.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »
It's a 'price cost and value' thing, innit.  They cost Disney very little, far cheaper than doing an animation or probably than getting replicas made up.  But the value of the old wheels to people who spin and historians... and just lost forever.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25:49 pm »
I can now stand fully justified in my belief that the only good thing that could happen to disney would be a flamethrower :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:29:06 pm »
I'm also upset because Imelda Staunton and Miranda Richardson are both in the movie.  I expect they wouldn't even have known about the oh-too-authentic bonfire, but even so...

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:38:33 pm »
:-( Just so wasteful, and such a reminder that many people have no respect for history and tradition.

:rant:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:44 pm »
There is a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/DisneyMaleficent  - we could all start asking the question on that?  I have.  Bar#####s.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
Ah, well done FiB - you clearly know your way around Facebook better than I do.

Let's see how/if they respond, then.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »
Ah, well done FiB - you clearly know your way around Facebook better than I do.

Let's see how/if they respond, then.
wow they responded REALLY quickly!!!  By removing my post (I only asked them why they had to do this... , and pasted a link to this post)!  I might re post ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »
bad news is disney won't take critisism in a public forum like facebook, they will just keep deleting you...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:04 pm »
FiB, I looked for the post and couldn't see it. Now I know why.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »
Yes, there was a lot of discussion about this on Ravelry over the spring and summer, while he was buying wheels. I was in the market for a saxony with a large drive wheel at the time.  Fuggeddit, everything got bid up, since that was clearly what he was after in terms of 'look'. Timbertops, Norwegians.......
People on Ravelry then knew that the ultimate destination was a bonfire!

As other people have said - money. Costs way less to buy old wheels than to have someone manufacture lookalike props or animate something.

Criminal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS