Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Agricultural Buildings  (Read 20484 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Agricultural Buildings
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced agricultural building manufacturer, please?  Not the great big ones, its for my goats and sheep ....thinking 60 x 40ft or even 30 x 20ft.
I would be tempted to have telegraph poles up and erect ones ourselves, which is what the farmer alongside our new land has done, but knowing our luck, we would have the council on our backs.
Some of the prices I have been quoted - thats for the shed, delivery and putting it up, are alarming, and way over what I wanted to pay (£13,000 in one case, without the concrete panels down the sides)
I could not justify paying that prices.  Want a decent shed, and as they say, you get what you pay for .....but even so.  I would also have to add the price of digging out, and concrete base on to the price.  May as well build a house11

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
Re: Agricultural Buildings
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:11:22 pm »
Hi
Made our goat barn for the cost £150 all in -  made from palletts (not standard ones, size are 3' 6" x 5' 4" they come with PU screens on for a energy park)  with a concrate floor, the roof was covered in a tarp to make the inside waterproof now is covered with roofing.

the specs are floor size 26ft x 12ft, 8ft high the walls are 12inch thick so is warm when the wind blows

will have a load of pallets in the next couple of months as htey are making another park only 2x bigger. So I am thinking of building our house from them.......
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:18:01 pm »
 ;D Now, thats a lot more reasonable, price wise!!  I take it you did not submit plans, or obtain planning permission for your lovely new goat shed? I only wish I dare follow your example, but really do not want to risk the council.......

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:36:47 pm »
its a temporay building placed on a solid floor (its an old aircraft parking area, area I rent from was a airfield back in the 1940's) now being used for farming and solar generation 
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:02:50 pm »
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced agricultural building manufacturer, please?  Not the great big ones, its for my goats and sheep ....thinking 60 x 40ft or even 30 x 20ft.
I would be tempted to have telegraph poles up and erect ones ourselves, which is what the farmer alongside our new land has done, but knowing our luck, we would have the council on our backs.
Some of the prices I have been quoted - thats for the shed, delivery and putting it up, are alarming, and way over what I wanted to pay (£13,000 in one case, without the concrete panels down the sides)
I could not justify paying that prices.  Want a decent shed, and as they say, you get what you pay for .....but even so.  I would also have to add the price of digging out, and concrete base on to the price.  May as well build a house11
The price quoted is (sadly, due to the rocketing price of steel and all the VAT) pretty standard. We had a quote from a local (honest we think) chap and it came to approx £10-11k for a shed a little smaller than 60x40  We have the base, electrics and drainage done so it was just for the shed supply and erection.
I would say (that was a couple of years back) that specs have increased since then due to the number of sheds collapsing under the snows/in gales so £13k may not be far off.
Even on an agric holding that qualifies for the most lenient planning you would need to submit an agric building notification to the council, only temporary sheds with no concrete or hardcore base are exempt from any notifications unless you fancy winging it, trouble is something that big is hard to hide :-). 60x40x12 is also just about the limit for the notification process, (it is done on sq metreage so height matters); above that and it does need full PP even on a large holding.
For a larger, higher building like a 60x40 there arent many DIY shortcuts like there are with lower, smaller buildings, the goat shed would be quite possible to DIY but if you want a big span like 60x40, proper floor, electrics and drainage etc you would be looking at 10-15k min unless you can DIY it and dont mind lots of smaller bays with load bearing interim columns to help spread the weight.
If you went for 30x20 instead its a whole different ballgame, you would still need agric notice (or PP if your holding is too small to qualify) unless you go for a moveable temporary building (worth considering?), but it is much much less of an issue structurally in terms of the span and load, so worth considering. It might even be cheaper to DIY build two of them than build one great big 60x40, due to this, if you built in wood.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:18:59 pm »
I did post previously on our self build timber barn project 12m x 6m

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/work-on-the-smallholding/building-a-pole-barn-part-1/

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/work-on-the-smallholding/building-a-pole-barn-part-2/

unfortunately we haven't erected the frame yet as it has been so wet and we've been concentrating on doing the work on our house. A local sawmill cut all the columns and cross beams for £650 so the frame and concrete will have cost around £1000

As soon as it dries up or we get a bit of frost so that we can get on the land with a fore end loader to erect the frame I'll post more photos.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:19:59 pm »
I've seen a couple of cunning designs in the past based around shipping containers.  Can't find the specific examples just now, but how about this for the general idea:

Or if you're feeling posh, here's another one:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:36:09 pm »
Really like that. You know they are strong as $%^& as they get stacked on the ship, built in doors, Would need to cut some decent ventilation slots as they do sweat a good bit but love it!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:55:13 pm »
I know some schools that are useing these and think the quality is OK - not sure where you are, but the price seems not too bad... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Field-Shelter-12-x-36-Brand-New-/290787128565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43b44374f5

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 06:56:56 pm »
£13k seems not bad to me for a shed of that size supplied and erected.  I am getting a shed delivered next week, 12mx6m and it is costing about £9.5k.  I am erecting it myself (or going to try to - I have no experience of this sort of thing) which makes things a bit cheaper.  The concrete slab, drains etc all have to be added to that price.

I can assure you that, expensive though it may seem, it is cheaper than building a house!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:13 pm »

Mel

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 08:18:20 pm »
Hi
Made our goat barn for the cost £150 all in -  made from palletts (not standard ones, size are 3' 6" x 5' 4" they come with PU screens on for a energy park)  with a concrate floor, the roof was covered in a tarp to make the inside waterproof now is covered with roofing.

the specs are floor size 26ft x 12ft, 8ft high the walls are 12inch thick so is warm when the wind blows

will have a load of pallets in the next couple of months as htey are making another park only 2x bigger. So I am thinking of building our house from them.......

That's really impressive! :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »
Roxy - google Penderfeed , "cover-all" buildings. That's what I want for my lambing shed.... at some point. I don't know if these are expensive and I guess you will still need (agricult) PP/notice. They do travel all over the country.
We built our goat house and hay shed ourselves, after finding a lot of flimsy buildings for extortionate prices. Both are 10 x 24 (dictated by the lengths of timber available to minimise waste),and built in line with each other. We had agricult PP for them, and they are now linked together with a roof :innocent:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »
Anke - they are expensive with an E , I nearly choked on my hobnob.... :yum: Good for riding arenas etc due to the diffuse natural light but  I dont think cheaper than a standard construction steel building with rooflights, and the curve means less usable space). However you can get purpose designed polytunnels for lambing which are smaller/cheaper, they have plastic at the top but a mesh in a strip along the bottom so excellent ventilation to minimise disease risks associated with indoor lambing.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »
We built a lovely goat byre, by building up the stone walls of some sheep pens, putting York boarding (from tantalised planking) above it, and three telegraph poles to support the tin roof. The sheep pens already had a brick paved floor.

Didn't cost too much (wood, poles and tin) and took two of us three days. Didn't get permission. But then I live in the back of beyond.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS