Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Ponies Bedding  (Read 7883 times)

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
Re: My Ponies Bedding
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »
Thanks for all your inputs.

the main reason for bringing them in is our ground is very wet, and  it allows us to give some attention to the little loves!
i could leave them out, and we will see how we get on.

dominic

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 06:15:42 pm »
we always fully worm any new pony no matter what the previous owner said. a day course of panacur and a syringe of equest on day 6. plus make sure the new pony is isolated until the worming is complete so they dont shed the worms onto ur land.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »
Last winter I used EVA foam mats and a small amount of shavings to soak up the wet. While it generally worked, I could not get rid of the smell of urine no matter how often I scrubbed the stable. As soon as she peed, the smell came back. And hosing out that often is not practical. This summer and winter I have had at least one of the ponies in all the time. I've got rid of the mats and am now using recycled wood chip. I did start with shavings but the wood chip is cheaper and I think it's nicer too. I won't use straw as both ponies will eat it and it takes ages to compost down. I deep litter the stable and poo pick twice a day and dig out the wettest patch once a week. The smell has virtually gone now, so less complaints from my horse-hating hubby.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS