Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to grow for pigs  (Read 3511 times)

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
What to grow for pigs
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »
I've left this a bit late in the year, but I think I still have time to grow something for our pigs to eat in the autumn. What should I choose? I may have access to some tic beans. Turnips, rape, kale are probably not much good. How about something like lettuce? Easy to grow and they don't get hammered by the caterpillar like cabbage do. Must be VERY low maintainence  ;)
Tell me what you think. Thanks, Johnny
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What to grow for pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:56:22 pm »
Is it too late for (f)artichokes?

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:25 pm »
Not too late in the year at all. Pig-keeping friends of mine swear by kale and can't grow enough of it. Personally, I can't get my ladies to touch the stuff.
It's not too late to grow turnips or runner beans or even potatoes. Even if your crop gets chewed by pests or isn't as successful as you'd like, the pigs shouldn't mind.
I'm trying to mix veg in with pig nuts to get my fussy feeders to eat but so far no deal. I think I'll have to stew everything up in a mess and serve that. Hope you are more successful.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:43:17 pm »
you could try a molasses spray for food they aren't too keen on eating
Ian

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »
Muc, I find that the stew worked a treat, but it was so bloody time consuming that I gave it up. It did, however help me make the transition from the pelleted feed they got as suckler/weaners, to my own concoction. I checked with a man more skilled in piggie matters than I, and he said that I had very good weights for the ages of my pigs, so i'm happy that they're getting a balanced mix..
Jayhawk, i'm awaiting delivery of a garden shredder, i'm going to try mince all my fruit and veg through that....so i'll let you know how I get on. Regarding what to plant, peas are a great source of protein for pigs, I believe that they also love clover but i'm unsure of it's nutritional value. We nonetheless have planted some in the, now vacant, weaner enclosure.  When we first got our weaners we put them in an overgrown vegetable garden, they loved rooting up the spuds and eating them, they slowly warmed to the brussel sprouts, but never even nibbled the swedes. Rosemarys reference to artichokes is, I believe, to Jerusalem artichokes (Like spuds, a member of the tuber family), so you can't go far wrong there.

Hope this helps,

Morgan

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:41:40 am »
Thanks everyone. Food for thought there (pun intended ;) )
Jayhawk
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS