Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of pigs !  (Read 7603 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Price of pigs !
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »
I have 8 fourteen week old sholts that I can't give away and with the price of feed now, they will have to go off soon. I will, at least, get some meat from them.
Had a 'phone call whilst I was typing this....do I want some weaner pigs, free! It's getting a sad situation :(

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »
I have 8 fourteen week old sholts that I can't give away and with the price of feed now, they will have to go off soon. I will, at least, get some meat from them.
Had a 'phone call whilst I was typing this....do I want some weaner pigs, free! It's getting a sad situation :(

whats a sholt ?
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
I was looking into buying a few weaners to raise on the farm at home, but my local farm butcher sells pigs at 1.30/lb... so I bought half a pig last week for £85, and for the amount of meat we got the price should have been twice what we paid. They raise their own pigs, I spoke to the owner and she said there was just no money in them :(

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 02:21:15 pm »

Some more info on (USA) prices here: http://www.thepigsite.com/swinenews/30475/cme-quantum-changes-in-feed-costs

It's hard to get this in context for smallholders though. For example, we are thinking of getting a couple of weaners in the Spring. As such, commercial concerns are definitely not top of the agenda. That said, I don't want to be left with a surplus of sausages that cost us a fortune to rear, yet have to be sold at a loss. Any thoughts folks?

{Edit - it seems that Twizzel got there whilst I was typing, LOL!}
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 03:11:56 pm »
I don't understand why you guys aren't able to sell a finished pig products.  Don't mean to jump up and down about it but I don't seem to have much trouble shifting halves at a decent price £120 basic half box (smaller porkers), up to £170 for gammon/smoked products.  Are you fairly isolated where you are located?   I'm not in an affluent area and it has always been fellow villagers that have brought in the past, but people seem to be very supportive of what I do and are prepared to pay for good meat. Very cared for, rare breed or crosses, taken to a small abattoir, outdoor reared etc.  I'm not near that £85 price but I'm selling something different.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:29:15 pm by Mrs Snoodles »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »
KJA, sholt is a west country word for a pig bigger than a weaner but smaller than a grower.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »
KJA, sholt is a west country word for a pig bigger than a weaner but smaller than a grower.

thanks we call them small stores around here .......i live and learn  ;)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:48 pm »
I don't think its just pigs, theres all sorts of livestock around for sale at the moment lots of farmers are offloading stock especially since its been announced that wheat prices are about to reach an all time high pushing animal feed thro the roof. Looks like straw will also be at a premium this winter.I have never seen as many pigs for sale as there is now on this site and on the GOS site. Over the next couple of months i think the markets are going to be full of them.
Mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »
i was talking to a guy at our local market last week about how many pigs we out there atm (mostly the ones at market are better off there if you know what i mean) he said he had seen this situation a few times over the years as did my parents in the 80's pig slump they jumped right out never to go back into pigs, but what he said made sense if you can afford to stick with it premiums will be had when the trade runs dry he recons by next summer he will be paying 30-40% more for his pigs he is a butcher that usually buys in40 - 50 pigs a week.

we have just sold a whole litter we were thinking some of them may well end up in the market but they all sold over a weekend  :excited: so fingers crossed for the 3 litters due january.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 01:48:29 pm »
I payed £17-50 for two bags of sow rolls this morning. Last week, £16-40, back in the summer £12-80. What can you do? :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS