Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: naughty but clever shetland  (Read 2213 times)

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
naughty but clever shetland
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:29:37 pm »
We've got our 2 horses Bob the cob and Bonnie the shetland in a paddock with 2 strands of electric tape to stop them reaching the newly planted hedge.

Over the last few days Bonnie kept appearing the wrong side of the electric tape. She will run through it if she knows it's off but its been on all the time.

Discovered yesterday she is rolling commando style underneath the bottom strand of tape  ;D

We'll be making adjustments today.   

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: naughty but clever shetland
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:53:21 pm »
My neighbour grazes her ponies on our grass and welcome to it they are. I tried rotating paddocks, sheep/ponies but one, a minature Sheltie was always where he shouldn't be. I caught him one morning lying down and shimmying under the gate! Yes, Shetlands are too clever ::) :horse:

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »
 :roflanim: They are naughty little things!
Had the same problem with my falabella, there was a boy pony in the next field and she was a girl on a mission!
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:14:24 pm »
Haflingers are the same - I tried all sorts of electric combos cats cradles etc and ended up with 4 foot horsemesh...to date that has worked although she is eating her way out by devouring fenceposts one at a time.....:-D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »
Our first Shetland Danny used to go walk about and it was ages before we found out that he went under the fence, he could also open gates to let the others out. Should have been a film star.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS