Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My First Eggs  (Read 4119 times)

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
My First Eggs
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:48:12 pm »
Two big brown eggs today from the four chickens I collected on Saturday. The farmer I got them from said they may not lay for a week or two due to the disruption they had been through so I am delighted. I am taking it as a sign that they are settling in to their new home. Boiled eggs for breakfast!!
JD

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: My First Eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »
Congratulations on the eggs, that was quick. They must be very happy in their new home. :chook:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:31:55 pm »
Good training, see  ;D

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:49:42 pm »
Brilliant news - bet they were the best eggs you've ever eaten!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:59:45 pm »
Rosemary, I agree!
MM, having them for breakfast tomorrow morning will let you know.
JD

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 11:21:49 pm »
even after having had ducks and chickens for 7 years now I still get a thrill when I find eggs in the :&> :chook: nesting box.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:57:04 am »
Congrats JD!  Its so exciting isn't it? You will probably remember I was as high as a kite on the morning of Rosemary's course as mine had layed their first eggs that day.  There is no going back now - once you have one of your own shop bought ones will never do again. 

Hope you enjoyed your breakfast.    x x Gillian

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:56 pm »
I remember when we got our first egg - my husband was so excited and spent ages setting the table for himself and then carefully timing the egg boiling away in the pan, never taking his eyes off it.  Then slowly savouring every mouthful - never offered me a taste though!!!

The thrill of collecting eggs never diminishes - we have all sorts of colours, cream, dark brown, white, blue and speckled and I get such a sense of satisfaction selling a box of eggs with a variety of colours.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:46 pm »
I agree Gillian. I really enjoy eating the fruit and veg I grow but eating an egg from my own chicken is a different level of satisfaction. Great breakfast today.
JD 

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:05:28 pm »
Jim - I was speaking with Willie this afternoon and he was asking how you and your chooks were getting on. I told him that you had already had some eggs so he too was very chuffed for you.

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »
Thanks James I was going to call him. I let them out the pen for the first time tonight whilst I was working in the garden and they just followed me around, it was great fun watching them. Sorry about the news of your duck an chick.
JD

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS