Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: York Rare Breed Show&Sale'12  (Read 9333 times)

CrookedJock

• Joined Oct 2012
    • slipperfieldcroft.co.uk
York Rare Breed Show&Sale'12
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:44:25 am »
 :sheep:Looking forward to the York AuctionMart Show and Sale this weekend (Friday 5th Show & Saturday 6th Sale). Hopefully find a  Hebridean Shearling Tup and a few more Hebridean Gimmers to vary my stock.
JRJames

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: York Rare Breed Show&Sale'12
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:24:46 am »
I heard there are only two Heb tups in, although I haven't seen the catalogue yet.  Wishing now we had put one of our tup lambs in  :sheep:

(modified - there are more than that, see below)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:05:00 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:08:58 am »
There's not the greatest entry for a few things, Dad was hoping to buy some coloured Ryelands and there are hardly any either.

I'm selling a lovely Shetland tup and a couple of gimmer lambs and hoping to buy some shearling gimmers or lambs.

I'm a bit sick I can't enter my tup into the show on Friday cos I think he'd do well, and then probably sell for more - but I have to be at work  :P Don't they know lots of smallholders who keep rare breeds have to do jobs to keep their animals in feed, wish they managed it all on Sat like they do at Carlisle.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:16:15 am »
herewith catalogue

http://www.ylc.co.uk/uploads/files/sales/rare-breed-catalogue-1348580074.pdf

Had a look at the pigs and theres some micro pigs listed!

Mandy  :pig:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 12:02:30 pm »
I heard there are only two Heb tups in, although I haven't seen the catalogue yet.  Wishing now we had put one of our tup lambs in  :sheep:

Ah now I've worked out who and where you are from your intro CrookedJock  :wave: :wave:  I realise my tup lambs would not be suitable for you  ;D
Still wishing we had put one in York though.

Thanks for the catalogue Fowgill.   There are in fact loads of Heb tups in  ::) , just 2 mature ones, but plenty of shearlings and lambs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:14:02 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:14:00 am »
I'm a bit sick I can't enter my tup into the show on Friday cos I think he'd do well, and then probably sell for more - but I have to be at work  :P
Oh, what a shame - yes, he should do well, he's a beauty.  I don't suppose you know anyone else who could handle him for you?  (No, not me - I've never done any showing!  But any of the other vendors?  Their children?  Or - your dad or mum?  :eyelashes:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:10:24 pm »
It's getting him there between 12 and 2 on Friday that's the killer, that's how restrictive the window is.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »
It's getting him there between 12 and 2 on Friday that's the killer, that's how restrictive the window is.
Crumbs, that is a tiny window  :(   I wish I lived between you and York, instead of t'other side, and could help  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:43:19 pm »
That's kind but it's not the end of the world. I think he's quality and hopefully people can see that for themselves in the pen.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 10:35:05 pm »
He is, and they will. :-*

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:22:43 am »
Crumbs, that is a tiny window  :(   I wish I lived between you and York, instead of t'other side, and could help  :bouquet:

It's actually even worse than it sounds  :tired:  (I know that's meant to be a tired emoticon but it's much better as 'eeek'  :D )   There are I think 4 unloading places, or maybe five, which you have to wait in a long queue to get to (and while you are reversing of course everyone is watching in case you make a 8@@11$-up  ::) ).  Then you unload your sheep and do the paperwork and take your sheep to the pens - all the time you have left your vehicle blocking the ramp and preventing anyone else from unloading until you have finished.  No wonder it's almost impossible to get every sheep in by 2.   I hate it; there must be a better and more efficient way.  Maybe it has been improved since the last time I braved it as a vendor.
Buying halter trained sheep is an excellent idea at York because then you can just walk them to the trailer without having to go through the whole pandemonium in reverse.   :thinking: Selling halter trianed sheep would also be the answer as you could walk them from the car park to the pens, although you would still have to wait your turn to go past the paperwork folk.

Jaykay, I hope your tup sells well.  In my (small) experience, buyers make up their own minds about the sheep they want to buy and don't necessarily agree with the judge anyway.  :sheep:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 08:06:22 am »
Thanks FW  :)

Oh, that delivering of stock sounds like a nightmare! I shall be doing it in the crowd at 9am on Sat morning, having got up at 4.30am - I wouldn't want to be the one that makes my life difficult then  ;)

I'm buying gimmer lambs I hope - i'll carry them to the trailer  :D Carlisle was a much bigger sale and it was far better organised I reckon - just need not to miss the entry date next year  ::)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:09:37 am by jaykay »

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 02:49:46 pm »
What were prices like today? Did anyone see how the pig selling went?

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:20 pm »
Pig prices mixed as usual. Guess you're interested in how the Tamworths went.
 The 2 Boars sold for 140 guineas each
The Sow 75  guineas
The gilts 88 guineas 122 guineas and I missed the last one as I was chatting to someone.

Kune Kunes as usual around  0 -30 guineas for adults so goodness knows what the Kune Kune weaners went for.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »
Thanks for that. Did you see how any weaners went? There were a lot entered  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS