Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone used a sock loom?  (Read 10277 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Anyone used a sock loom?
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:44 am »
Just saw this book and wondered if the loom is any good.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Anyone used a sock loom?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »
Never seen one of those Bionic but it looks good fun.  ;D

Let us know how you get on if you give it a go.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »
It looks like a hand version of the old sock knitting machines you see sometimes  :D

No, never used one, though I guess it works a bit like a large example of the 'French' knitting things we used to have as kids.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:24:19 pm »
French knitting was my first though too, Jaykay.  I'd be interested to hear how it works out if you try it, Sally.   :knit:

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »
I'm tempted to have a go at this...

This looks like the same sock loom too:
Sock Loom: Part 1 Cast on

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:13:29 pm »
Hmmm interesting.  I have too many things on my plate at the moment but this is very tempting
Sally

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:47:29 pm »
Bionic - Do you know how much the actual sock loom is?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »
I didn't know but have just looked it up. They aren't as cheap as you would think.
Just seen them on ebay for £27.99 with instructional DVD

Sally
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:05:24 pm by Dan »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:52:24 pm »
That is how French  :knit:  is done but on a bigger scale.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:16:23 pm »
I think I'll stick to my oldfashioned needles! Would have to see more videos (but they are awfully slow on my PC) to find out how do they turn the heel? And is there only one size peg - I use 2mm and 2.5mm most of the time... And how do you use it if you don't have a table to work on? (I was sitting in the winter gardens in Aberdeen today knitting socks - got a few funny looks, as usual, and caused a few almost accidents as kids were so fascinated by it that they didn't look where they were walking and ended up in the shrubs... ;D ) Might be easier to use for people with stiff fingers.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 10:12:36 pm »
caused a few almost accidents as kids were so fascinated by it that they didn't look where they were walking and ended up in the shrubs... ;D

:roflanim: :roflanim:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:38 am »
I think I'll stick to my oldfashioned needles! Would have to see more videos (but they are awfully slow on my PC) to find out how do they turn the heel? And is there only one size peg - I use 2mm and 2.5mm most of the time... And how do you use it if you don't have a table to work on? (I was sitting in the winter gardens in Aberdeen today knitting socks - got a few funny looks, as usual, and caused a few almost accidents as kids were so fascinated by it that they didn't look where they were walking and ended up in the shrubs... ;D ) Might be easier to use for people with stiff fingers.
....or for people who cant knit?  That sounds fantastic Ina - oner of my long term goals is to be able to knit socks. This could be the answer to my prayers - I have sheep, wool, a spinning wheel, a need for socks... but cant knit!  I have 2 books sitting in my book case on knitting socks, but I cant get past knitting basics (tension problems predominatly).  Let us know if you try it!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 09:02:09 am »
Fi, Its a pitty you aren't nearer. I would teach you to knit.
Sally

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 09:10:13 am »
Fi, Its a pitty you aren't nearer. I would teach you to knit.
Sally

I'd like to learn to knit. My mum tried to teach me but the knitting ended up so tight, I couldn't get the needles through it  :( A tension problem, in all senses.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:54 am »
Aw thanks for that thought Sally - that would have been great.  Thats proably what I need to do, join or set up a craft circle.  My Taid (Grandfther) taught me to knit - I still have my first 'scarf' complete with holes and have to say my current tension square trials look pretty similar to my 7 year old efforts!!!  My Nain (his wife) used to knit us bedsocks every christmas which we used to laugh about - but love and appreciate even though they were not cool!  I miss those bedsocks!  (She was also a big fan of knitted  'bed jackets', which I have now come to appreciate as a FANTASTIC idea, but when I was a child they were right up their with the kangol hats she used to wear with every outfit!)
LOL Rosmary - when I knit my shoulders scrunch - I couldnt be more tense myself!!  Hard to imagine it as a relaxing pastime! Same with sewing!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS