Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many apples?  (Read 2789 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
How many apples?
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:39 am »
As per usual, at this time of the year we're inundated with apples. Everyone brings windfalls up to the farm for our pigs and we have a fair few from our own orchard. I've been giving each goat an apple  (cut up, hand fed) after their evening feed and they absolutely love it. Just wondering if I can/should give them more than one a day and if so how many? Given we seem to have an unlimited supply it would be a shame to waste them all on the pigs!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: How many apples?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:46:32 am »
If we have a bulk of apples I have quite often given them a couple each in each feed so they have had 4 apples each goat a day
Graham

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:45 am »
When we chop apples in the winter for the goats, it's 4 per milker that we allow as well. I would think you can give them more than that- probably even 4-5 morning and night. If they are particularly green windfall apples I might restrict it to only 4 a day though.

Beth

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:25 am »
Brilliant, I'm sure our goats will thank you for that news!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »
I've fed mine with windfalls, about ten between two goats.  You do have to be careful though because it can taint the milk.  I once went to a wedding party at the home of the newly weds.  My daughter asked for milk to drink and said it tasted funny.  Our hostess said that she had had onions in that particular beaker so maybe the plastic was holding the taste and fetched a fresh one but the milk still tasted wrong.  Her dad tried it as well and it tasted off but it was from that morning's milking.  Later in the afternoon, the bride asked all the children if they wanted to help feed the goats and gave them two big buckets to go and fill with windfall apples.  The goats were having a bucketful each twice a day.  No wonder the milk tasted off.

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:49 pm »
milk taint usually comes from feeding at the wrong time ie just prior to milking

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS