Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another break in attempt  (Read 4168 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Another break in attempt
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:47:13 am »
We have a 4 wheeled carriage stored at a friends place, and today got a call to say there had been an attempt to get in the building.  They had forced the big yard gate, and tried to take the hinges off the big door to the building. Thankfully unsuccessful.  But tonight we had to go and get the carriage on the trailer and move it quick .....to a secret location ;D  It is in a farmer friends yard, among all his tractors, right next to his house.
We had a giggle, because the police helicoptor was buzzing over head, and I thought they were watching us,  thinking we had stolen the carriage!!  I told the farmer he would have some explaining to do, as to why he had a carriage, and no horse.
This was not connected with our theft ....well, what I mean, is,its a good few miles away. I suspect they thought the wedding carriage was in there, but its not. 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Another break in attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:42:56 am »
I hope someone catches these b#€^%¥$ soon  >:(

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:46:05 am »
Hopefully since they are getting more and more confident, soon they will get overconfident - and get caught!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:12 am »
Roxy, whereever is it you live??? Horrible neighbours, thieves.... :'( :hug:
Now, I don't feel as sure as you do that the events are not connected somehow...maybe I do just have a suspicious mind  :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:14:25 am »
What a worry for you  :relief:

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:15:56 am »
Yes and maybe not a good idea to move it to a secret location then describe it on here  :o  (unless you are laying a trap!?)
Hope things go better for you. Keep safe!

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:56 am »
Is there any way that you could have a lama or 2 to guard the place, Some friends of our's tried that after things started going missing from their place - He was a bad tempered git (The lama not our friend  :D) but they didn't have anymore trouble after getting him.
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:38:57 am »
Geese are the best guard beasties, can be right vicious little sods, i've been chased by a few when vsisting nearby farms, certainly frightened me.
mandy  :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:40:21 am »
Oh Roxy  :hug:  you are really having at time of it at the moment - I hope the law gets them soon  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 10:48:57 am »
I agree with Mandy about the geese.  Not only can they be nasty they can be very noisy and will alert you if they hear anything. Mine are great guard 'dogs'
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:50:57 am »
Definitely get some geese. They make a racket and though they're not really very dangerous at all, people are irrationally scared of them.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »
I presume you won't get into bother for geese attacking intruders, unlike if you had a guard dog?  There could be a whole new security business here, vans with geese in the back ready to be let out and chase the perpretrators, TV documentaries following them round....
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 01:51:16 pm »

It's a shame our geese are all mouth and no trousers, or I'd send some down to you Roxy. Unfortunately they're the timidest birds we have, and run away the moment anybody comes near them!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 02:13:10 pm »
Definitely do not want another llama ....we had ours shot a few months back, but he would have knocked univited guests flying, and they would not know what had hit them.As to geese, have thought of those, but for maximum effect they would need to be loose in the yard, and then there is the fox issue .....
We live in a "area of little crime"  Honestly, hardly anyone gets broken into,or anything. But, we are mid way between Sheffield and Manchester, and it has been noticed that anything that does happen, quite often involveds gangs from the City.  Our postcode is so good, that car insurance is very low!!
I think I may have to consider selling the carriages - not worth the hassle of trying to keep them safe.  If they take them all, they would have some moneysworth ....6 left!!
Carriage at my farmer friends is ultra safe  - its like Fort Knox to get in or out of there.  His vintage tractors are his pride and joy - think there are 40 plus, and he guards them well.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »
Roxy, I'm so sorry that you're still going through it.   :hug:  Hope these thieves get caught and quickly although, if it's gangs, I suspect that when one lot is nabbed, the next lot will move in.  Your carriage sounds nice and safe though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS