Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which wormer ?  (Read 7960 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Which wormer ?
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:54:51 am »
Morning all ,
after excessive hatching throughout this year and last we are now up to 25 chooks in the flock -( partner has said " no more " ) . I need to get the birds wormed and am needing advise which wormer to use . Preferable easy to use and obtain . My vet has asked me to calculate how much food I use over a 7 day period and offered to calculate and provide me with the right amount . I think this will be a more expensive option and would rather buy it locally - we have a good farm supply shop near by , or order it online . Any advise on a brand would be much appreciated.   

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: Which wormer ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:29:53 am »
Hi,there is only one wormer licensed for chickens Flubenvet.You will need about 30kg of feed,by far the cheapest way to buy this is pre mixed feed from Marriages,it works out about £11 a bag you will need 2.
A 60g pot enough to treat on 20kg bag of feed is £13.20,so the pre mixed is far cheaper,a larger 240g pot is £44 this will treat 8 25kg sacks of feed so still works out at £5.50 + cost of bag of feed.
Some people use other unlicensed products.

Graham.
Graham.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:34 am »
Agree with above - my vet gave me a pot after diagnosis by PM (gapeworm) - hopeless!!!  Mixing 6g in a kilo of food - I had NO confidence that this was evenly distributed, so bought some Marriages layers with Flubinvet in it.  OUr practice doesnt recommend routine worming without symptoms though - interesting different views between practices. 

Your post made me laugh - we are in same boat - lots of chickens (I am a bit addicted to hatching!!!) and OH has said no more!  The plan was that we would be eating at least half - but first batch only 1 cockrel (which we are keeping) and last batch (11 birds) - still cant tell!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:46:49 am »
 :thumbsup:  Good answer from graham-j.

You can order the pre-treated Marriages on-line if you can't find it locally ..... pushes up the price though so check out local agri stores first.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:12:24 am »
Hi,FiB it sounds like you have OCD(Obsessive Chicken Disorder).I am also inflicted with this myself so I know how bad Obsessive Chicken Disorder can be.  ;D

Graham.
Graham.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:05:36 pm »
Totally agree also with the Marriages suggestion.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We have just used a 10kg bag for 10 chooks (although we did go a bit over to finish it all) and the laying rate has doubled!!

For the first time since we've had them I feel that they've had a proper dose of wormer (I was just adding a spoonful of Fluben powder to some mash before) and I'm sure they look perkier.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 02:09:08 pm »
I'm just about to do mine with the Marriages pellets.

If you have sufficient usage of feed, Marriages will deliver a one tonne mixed pallet free of charge. You need to use enough to work in with the use-by dates but I've just ordered a pallet with sheep cubes for tupping plus some poultry feed (plus the 10 bags of feed Marriages is donating as prizes for the Festival). Works fine for us - saves me time and fuel plus what I would randomly spend in the feed merchants on impulse.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 08:00:16 pm »
Unfortunately the marriages site seems to be down at the moment.

Do they do pig feed? If they do then I will definitely consider the one tonne pallet in future as we always seem to be up at the agri store getting pig feed and then of course we always end up getting something else... and some thing else etc etc...... and I can't go in there without getting a pig ear for the dog.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:16:51 pm »
Hi,pretty certain they do I have,horse and sheep feed off them as well as chicken feed on a mixed tonne pallet as well.The web site is still down just checked.

Graham
Graham.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:20:06 pm »
I also use the Marriage feed, makes worming easy.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 09:27:53 pm »
Do they do pig feed? If they do then I will definitely consider the one tonne pallet in future as we always seem to be up at the agri store getting pig feed and then of course we always end up getting something else... and some thing else etc etc...... and I can't go in there without getting a pig ear for the dog.....

They do allsorts - mixed corn, sheep nuts, pig food, layer pellets, grit. It took me a wee bit of trial and error but I wouldn't buy feed any other way now.

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:30 am »
Hi All,
I've been using Verm-X as I like the idea that its herbal. Would everyone recommend the Marriages rather than Verm-X?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:18:20 pm »
Personally I avoid verm-X as I'm not sure how effective it is  :-\  I've stuck to marriages for a few years now having faffed about with doses and quantities of Flub in a pot! We haven't had a worm problem at all  :fc:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »
I have used Marriages with Flubenvet for a few years now with very good results. Yesterday I tried to buy some more for some new pullets that have just arrived. However, Marriages website states that there is currently a national shortage of Flubenvet. They have run out of supplies and will not have any more before the end of October. I have tried to buy small quantities of straight Flubenvet from other suppliers, but with no luck. Don't want to wait till the end of the month to worm my new girls. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »
I just bought the last two bags from my local supplier. They said there was a supply problem and wouldn't have any more for a while. Didn't know how long.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS