Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Layers pellets and cockerels  (Read 3821 times)

yvonne.s

• Joined Jan 2012
Layers pellets and cockerels
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »
 :chook: My friend has just given me two chocolate Orpington Bantam cockerels as they were being bullied by her other much larger cockerel. I have put them in with my four hybrid hens. I have been feeding the girls layers pellets, is it ok for the boys to have them too, or will they harm them? These are my first hens so I still have a lot to learn! :chook:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Layers pellets and cockerels
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »
My cockerels all eat layers pellets.

There are people who will tell you nothing should eat layers pellets, there are people who will tell you they have too much calcium in them and it will do all sorts of dreadful things to any bird not laying.

But my cockerels all eat layers pellets, and they're happy and healthy.

So personally I'd put your new cockerels in with the girls and let them get on with it  :)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:56:07 pm »
If they'll eat layers pellets then give them layers. My lot are all too fussy and will only eat corn, turning their beaks up at layers pellets.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

yvonne.s

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:38:00 pm »
Thanks Brijjy and jaykay for your replies, I will give them the layers and see how they get on.  :)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:23:41 pm »

I have a cockerel who is at least 9yrs old and has eaten layers pellets all his life, bad tempered little sod that he is.
Anne

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:38:07 pm »
I had a similar worry but on reflection, Hector's been eating layer pellets for five years and seems fine  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS