Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had a break in - Photo Added  (Read 14301 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Had a break in - Photo Added
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:42:23 am »
Arrived at the stables this morning.  Pulled up at the top of the track, and the security post, plus the chain that its attached to, was on the floor, and the gate was swinging open lower down the track.  OMG we both said.  I knew before driving down the track what they had taken :(
They had taken our two wheeled Hillam exercise cart, which was sheeted up, and chained up to the flat hay trailer.  We had removed the shafts to try and deter thieves, but they had bolt cropped the barn door lock and rummaged around until they found where the shafts were hidden.
Taken some horse tack too, two saddles, complete with special pads, girths, stirrups etc.  Worth quite a bit of money as they were Trekker treeless saddles. Also took some other stuff, not really had time to see exactlyt what, but the strimmer has gone, my riding hat, my waterproof coats (why? ) oh,  and even the little gas stove we brewed up on.  But how kind to leave us the kettle!!  And they missed a couple of bridles which were hung up.
These were taken from Disley, Cheshire,  but could be anywhere, will watch e bay, and our local horse sale.
The carriage is black, varnished wood seat, on rubber tyres .....had this years, and sentimental value as our old horse, now gone, used to pull it, and we have won lots of driving shows with it.
I am upset about the stuff going, but the worst thing was they had gone in the paddock, unchained the  gate where the Soay sheep are and gone down the field to the field shelter where two goats are (gated in at night). Finding nothing they wanted, they came out, but left the gate wide open.  And given the fact that the gate onto the drive was also left swinging open, the sheep could have gone onto the busy road.
I know these heartless scumbags do not care about animals welfare, but its a wooden gate in the field, and would have clicked shut had they pulled it to behind them.  Thankfully the soay sheep and goats were safe and in the field. The poor soays must have been terrified at seeing me with torches in their field, as they are scatty even with me, and would have run round.
The Shetlands were in the stables, right next to where the cart was. Pity they cannot talk.
The only slim chance we have is the farmer who has farm buildings across the lane, has cameras, and may have caught something  The police are going to have a look.
Obviously, this has really upset me, thinking people have been round our things.  But at least my animals are unharmed, so thats something positive for me

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:12:07 pm by Roxy »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Had a break in
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:50:06 am »
That is such a horrid thing to happen  :( hope they catch the scum bags  :rant:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »
Oh no, how horrid  :hug:
Thank goodness the animals are all ok but not nice at all knowing someone's been around. Fingers crossed they catch them  >:(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:03:03 pm »
Sorry to hear about this, Roxy  :bouquet:  but thank goodness all the animals are ok  :relief:

It's almost more upsetting, the feeling of being so vulnerable, and not being able to be sure the stock are safe, than the loss of equipment, isn't it?

I do feel for you and I really hope the scumbags (good word sbom) are tracked down.  And you get your carriage back.

{{{{{hugs}}}}} and  :-* :-* :-*

Sally xx
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
So awful for you  :hug:

It sounds like they came well prepared for the job. Glad they didn't touch the animals, though it's not much consolation for the stuff that has been taken, or the time and cost of repairing and replacing the damage.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »
Just had a call from another neighbour, she will check her cctv for late night activity on the lane.  Also she said that just below our field, where the lane narrows, the police have a camera to catch uninsured and untaxed drivers, who think sneaking over the back roads is safer, so hopefully they can check those.
Have spoken with the local tack auctions, who said its likely the thieves will lie low, and usually sell a few weeks later, but they have adescription of our stuff, if they try to enter it.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:02 pm »
Oh Roxy  :hug:
What an awful experience for you - just reading your post made me feel physically sick.
My OH thinks I'm paranoid, but I always worry if we're away from our animals for more than a couple of hours - even though we have CCTV, very watchful neighbours & our landlord's farm borders both of the roads that lead to here, his farm manager & staff are always out & about too - really on the ball, as they have equipment stored up here  :thumbsup:
I am so glad that your animals haven't come to any harm  :hug:  & hope the police catches- up with the mindless barstewards  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:38:56 pm »
So sorry to hear this Roxy  >:(   pleased that the animals are ok but it does leave you feeling so vulnerable and nervous that they will do this. I hope they manage to find your stolen items and return them x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:56:24 pm »
Do you have any photos of the cart ? and also notify Beaston Auctions. Post notice on Ebay and preloved if you have photos.
Look behind the local 'traveller' campsite buildings. 
 :fc:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »
B******s  :rant: :rant:   
Lets hope you have some luck with the neighbours cctvs and can get an i.d of them.  Thank goodness none of the stock got out and were unharmed.   :hug:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 01:58:45 pm »
 :( Sorry to hear of your break-in.  We're up in Lancashire, but if you wanted to put together a flyer type thing, I don't mind putting them up for you at the stables my little boy rides at and at our local tack shop.  I agree about ebay and preloved and am happy to post on FaceBook for you and ask other to share if you like.

Gemma x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »
:( Sorry to hear of your break-in.  We're up in Lancashire, but if you wanted to put together a flyer type thing, I don't mind putting them up for you at the stables my little boy rides at and at our local tack shop.  I agree about ebay and preloved and am happy to post on FaceBook for you and ask other to share if you like.

Gemma x
Gemma - I was just telling my OH about this  :rant: thinking about facebook too  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 02:13:28 pm »
Thank you for the offers of posting on Facebook - I have put it on my Facebook page, asking people to pass it round their horsey friends.  The more people know, the better.
So many break ins at stables and yards.  A sheep farmer near us, is burgled around 3 times a year - quad, machinery, tools etc.  It looks like a prison now, with big iron bars above every gate to his fields and yard.
He has tried for planning to live there, and they turn it down each time.  I  do wonder why he carries on, as it must be heartbreaking finding stuff gone each time.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Had a break in - Photo Added
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 03:58:27 pm »
Worse than a fox getting your chickens >:( >:(  At least the fox has the excuse of ignorance. I hope you get your stuff back, enough publicity and the thieves may find your gear too hot to handle and may dump it somewhere :fc:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Had a break in - Photo Added
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »
Could it be worth contacting your local paper to see if they'll put an article in for you, re the stuff they've nicked - I'm still  :furious:  on your behalf   :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS