Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Given up on weeds now...  (Read 2087 times)

bangbang

Given up on weeds now...
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:01 pm »
That's it! The weeds rule and so does the 'I can grow really fast grass'.
I get home from work....it's rained
I get home from work....it is raining

What I need is a mower with blow dryer at the front...or walk around
with my eyes closed so I dont see the mess.

anybody else think that the weather has just taken the pistol this year?  :rant:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Given up on weeds now...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »
Definitely!  I'm sure it just waits until I m not at work or doing planned outings before it rains or is too windy to work comfortably  :rant:

Plans for last weekend, and the one before was catch up on the plots. Unforecast rain, torrential at times  :raining:  :gloomy:

Now the weeds are higher than the veg  :-\

gogogarden

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:29 pm »
Never seen such a year for successful weed-growing.  If only the abundance of slugs had also had a go at the weeds as well as my brassicas, celeriac, beetroot.......

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:18:02 pm »
I have a 2 acre walled garden and another 4 acre shrubs and borders to attend to 2 mornings a week.

This year it's beaten me. Bind weed, couch grass and goose grass seemed to have taken over the whole garden.

I'm getting old and realise time has taken it's toll.I think it's time I through in the towel and retired. :relief:
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:15:56 am »
Never seen such a year for successful weed-growing.  If only the abundance of slugs had also had a go at the weeds as well as my brassicas, celeriac, beetroot.......

.... our cat food (everymorning I felt the bowl covered in slime, but 2 nights a go caught about 20 of them all over it - no idea why - its empty by the time they get in euch).

And I've given up on the weeds now too.  Too late to strim?  The thistles have done their worst.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:01:28 am »
I can only imagine how frustraing it has been in the UK. We had our first rain ( central France) in a couple of months and the bare soil around my veg is now a host for weeds. All after just one shower. I may have had no weed problems but watering the garden (with cans) every evening has been a challenge too. Some of our root crops were poor and digging them up from hard ground was a pain.
I wonder what challenges we will all have next year.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:43:49 am »
Both now with a smaller garden and when I had the farm set up I found the electrc , manpack engined  & and wheeled husquvana strimmers invaluable .

The later two worked well for me , even when it was chucking it down with rain.
 I learnt a long time ago that one years seeds is seven years weeds was so hurtgfully true so kept things short .

Re the slugs in the moggy food bowl they are eating the remaining traces of flesh .
/  meat ,fats and oils to get essential vitamins . I'm suspecting that they can actually smell the bowls which makes me think of standing an unwashed used food bowl in a tray of water into which I've dissolved a few slug pellets and covered it with weighted down wire to keep the dog and cast etc away .
 It might be fairly easy with a bit of thought to make a simple partially enclosed pet & bird proof lodded bucket device using cat food as the bait .

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS