Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sterilising Jars - no oven !!!  (Read 22531 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Sterilising Jars - no oven !!!
« on: September 07, 2012, 02:22:13 pm »
Got 3 pans simmering at the moment to make Rowanberry jelly  :yum:
Just realised - our oven is broke (did email landlord about this a while ago, but not sorted yet  ::)  )
How are we going to sterilise the jars now?
We will be going into the village tomorrow for provisions, the mush will be straining overnight, so ...
 :idea:  could we use Milton (or similar own brand - cheaper  ;)  ) or will it taint the jelly  ???
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Sterilising Jars - no oven !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »
My OH uses tablets to sterilize beer bottles - we used to do oven sterilization but too time consuming :P

I suppose Milton (or similar) should be ok as long as you super rinse the jars afterwards. I'd say to use boiling water to rinse them, at least twice. I have not heard of it tainting baby formula  ;)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:41:45 pm »
My OH uses tablets to sterilize beer bottles - we used to do oven sterilization but too time consuming :P

I suppose Milton (or similar) should be ok as long as you super rinse the jars afterwards. I'd say to use boiling water to rinse them, at least twice. I have not heard of it tainting baby formula  ;)
Thanks - of course  :-[  Why did I not think of that  :dunce: ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »
I just boil all mine in the jam pan these days (as recomended by pam the jam (river cottage preserves)).  Alternatively she recons a hot dishwasher cycle (whatever one of those is  ??? ;D ;D ;D ) is also sufficent.  I DO miss my dishwasher, its no good pretending otherwise.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:03:18 pm »
I use the dishwasher hot cycle and havent ever had any problems - and so easy! (if one has a dishwasher!). We only have a mini undercounter one in a cupboard but it is brilliant (bought secondhand)!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 03:10:43 pm »
Thanks folks  :thumbsup:  - I'm usually better than this at lateral thinking for others - why is it that I don't seem to be able to do for myself  ???  oh dear  ::)
Dishwasher - even if we had one here, I bet that'd be knackered too  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

the great composto

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 03:14:44 pm »
is there a microwave avaialble?  bout an inch in the bottom of the jar and nuke away.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »
My thoughts on this are that anything which can withstand the temperature of boiling sugar deserves to live  8)    I wash my jars in very hot water but I don't put them in the oven to sterilise, and I certainly wouldn't use milton.  Sodium metabisulphite which is used for winemaking might be ok but I really don't think it's necessary, except maybe if you are re-using lids.  I never get any mould on my jam even if I keep it for several years........   :yum:   Have fun  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:31:59 pm »
Thanks Juliet  :wave:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »
My thoughts on this are that anything which can withstand the temperature of boiling sugar deserves to live  8)    I wash my jars in very hot water but I don't put them in the oven to sterilise, and I certainly wouldn't use milton.  Sodium metabisulphite which is used for winemaking might be ok but I really don't think it's necessary, except maybe if you are re-using lids.  I never get any mould on my jam even if I keep it for several years........   :yum:   Have fun  :wave:
same here. I just wash my jars in as hot water as I can bear, then rinse in boiling water, turn over onto clean teatowel and fill very soon afterwards. Only had problems one year with strawberry jam going a bit mouldy, but patch was removed and jam consumed - we are all still here to tell the tale...
I wouldn't go over the top wrt sterilising. After all you fill the jam/jelly in while it is just below boiling...

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »
Just to add to this, while we're on the subject  :eyelashes:
Does everyone use the wax discs that you're supposed to put on top of the jam/jelly in the jar?  I've always done it (coz that's how I learnt) but what does it do/is it necessary?

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »
is there a microwave avaialble?  bout an inch in the bottom of the jar and nuke away.
That's what I do if I dont need too many to save putting the oven on and Ive had no problems.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »
I wash mine in an ordinary bowl of washing up liquid and then put in the oven to dry out (sorry, i know you don't have an oven) rather than put a tea towel inside to dry them.
I then ALWAYS use the wax discs because thats how I have been taught too.
It will be ineresting to see the resulots without as I am sure some on here must do it that way.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
I have never used a wax disc yet, and been making jams since being at Uni.... and that was more than 20 years ago....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »
I do the same as Juliet, and I use the wax discs and the cellophane tops and rubber bands, then the correct lid for the jar as well.  Belts and braces - auditor instinct I guess  :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS