Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suitable area for pigs  (Read 6840 times)

bangbang

Suitable area for pigs
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:48 pm »
We have a coniferous wooded area, approx 150 trees.
would this be a suitable enviroment to house 2-3 pigs?
20m x 20m area.
My concern is the fowlage....would/could it be harmful
to them.
We do not intend to breed the pigs, just raise them and well ,....enjoy?
This wont happen till next year, but I want to prepare in
advance the area suitability and needs for them etc.

All help would be appreciated...
BB

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Suitable area for pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:45:35 pm »
Hiya BB  :wave:
That size area would possibly be ok for a few months of "fattening", but the ground will probably be left looking like the Somme & I'm not sure if many of the trees will be left standing - how mature are they? 
Your weaners will also need additional feed, as not much else grows around conifers.  I find the biggest issue for us in the past has been ensuring a plentiful water supply - fortunately where we are now there is a burn at the bottom of the woods, so if they do tip over their barrels/pull the hose off the drinkers, at least they can still get to water inbetween their twice daily feeds & checks.
Pigs are naturally omnivores - so don't worry if they chomp on a bird or 2 they'll probably enjoy it.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

they would fit, if u dont want mud, choose spring summer for the 4 mths theyl be with u, electric fence will keep them in.
what breed do u fancy?

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

bangbang

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:47:24 pm »
Hi PP,

A calm manageable breed, if the exist?
No micro pigs though! :-J

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »
tamworth or GOS maybe?  :innocent:  there used to b a berkshire breeder inverurie way.

how exciting!  :excited:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:56:00 pm by princesspiggy »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:22:14 pm »
If you're looking for calm & manageable Kune Kune would be your best bet - but then I would say that  :eyelashes:
As for the "m**** pigs" - don't start me off  :-X
We've had X-bred & GOS weaners before & they were a pleasure to keep.  OSBs are another story - in our experience - they've gotta be the most destructive little **** we've ever had & as for escaping  ::)  - but others may have had better expeiences  :innocent:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:11:10 am »
I have OSB's but as these are my first I have nothing to compare them with. Its Somme heaven in their enclosure. Mind you thats as much to blame on the weather as the pigs.
Their ark was bought new this year and its still as good as when it was bought, apart from a bit of mud but they do chew everything else. The water supply that OH put in was chewed within minutes (he then boxed it in and its been ok since). They are digging for Australia too. Although I love them it will also be a relief when they go on 19th of this month.
I am still planning on some more weaners for next year but it will probably be something other than OSB's
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:32 am »
Is an electric fence really enough to keep them in?  We've had lambs breaking out through the tape for the first time this year.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:36:37 am »
coniferous as in leylandi    leylandi is dangerous to cattle and sheep if ingested  and if your pigs are hank Marvin they would eat them       on the other hand   it must be quite dense so will be dryer than other areas
every breeder will tell you theres is the best    just to get the sale     we had two OSBs at the RHS last year  every time the pin was pulled on the gate they were looking and wondering how to get that pin out    the water supply was chewed as well   but you wont know all these things till you have tried them      if they are well fed they will be content    if not they will be breaking out :farmer:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:49:08 am »
Robert it's Sitka spruce would that be poisonous? The area usually stays dry ie 2 ft of snow everywhere and only 3mm covering in there. PP you've see the area we're on about - I've had no luck talking OH into this in the past but now he's seriously considering it  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:08:18 am »
normal trees are alright   that would give them very good shelter   and they fertilise the trees   you will see a differance in a few years :farmer:

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 09:33:13 am »
I'm new to pigs myself with only a couple of large blacks & 2 litters of piglets, So not a huge anmout of advice from me  ;D  but they are costing a fortune in feed, so bear in mind the fattening costs with regards to feeding!!   Also, pigs with floppy ears are thought to be more docile & easy to manage due to restricted vision.  Choosing a breed & then planning the area with that breed in mind is a good idea though. Good luck  :)
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 12:13:54 pm »
every breeder will tell you theres is the best    just to get the sale

Mine are the best  :excited:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:20 pm »
No you're mistaken Hassle, :roflanim: mine are.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »
every breeder will tell you theres is the best    just to get the sale

Mine are the best  :excited:
No way - mine are  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS