Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best weed control methods  (Read 8131 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: best weed control methods
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 01:59:15 pm »
What's DPC? I googled it and it came up as Damp proofing Cream, Is that the stuff?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »
Damp proof course....  :)
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »
I like Stereo's dpc under the fencing idea, must remember that one, as when I strim each year it makes holes in the chicken wire. 

We used to use sodium chlorate when it was allowed and then on to Roundup - but to be honest I think the best method is just to do as someone has already said - a flame gun - you can buy big ones you attached to a large gas can on a wheely thing or you can get aerosol size ones - does it quickly - maybe Roundup after that to keep the newbies from coming through for a while.

Trouble is with gravel the weed seeds make a nice wee bed in between the gravely stones so a dpc underneath gravel has limited use, they have to be killed from the top side too and in rainy summers like this one, it's hard to find enough consecutive dry time to let the Roundup have time to burn in.

Tarmac, there's your answer  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 06:28:50 pm »
We use wool backed carpet which is free from our local carpet shop, its the old carpets that are removed from houses and it makes great paths, event the cows took to standing on it in front of the gate and it really helped to control the mud around the gates as well as stopped weed's and it totally free!
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS