Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking thingy.  (Read 8262 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Milking thingy.
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:05:02 pm »
I'm starting to get arthritis in my right hand and it's not much fun milking with that hand.  I seem to remember that someone had a post a while back about a hand operated milking thingy which was consideraqble cheaper than a milking machine.  Can anyone remember?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Milking thingy.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:17:27 pm »
And the difference between squeezing a lever and squeezing a tit is---? The point I'm trying to make is that you still have to use your hand,  I know there is an electric  machine like mine sitting under a work bench in Welshpool , It won't be expensive . PM me your phone number and I'll call you back with the details.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »
I use the Udderly Ez hand milking thing.

It requires quite a strong 'grip' to squeeze the handle. But it's more a whole hand movement that doesn't cause me pain whereas the smaller finger movements do to actually hand milk. I suppose it depends where your arthritis is!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
I'd be interested to know more as my hands are terrible at the moment and milking is agonising  :(
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »
If you can squeeze a tennis ball then I think you'd be ok with the Udderly Ez hand pump. If that hurts, then I think squeezing the handle of the pump would too. As I said, I'm ok with it when my fingers and thumb hurt so much I can't hand milk.

Has additional advantages in that it doesn't get kicked over, the bottles are sealed so no filtering the milk and they can go straight into the fridge/freezer. Plus one of my goats has silly little teats which made hand milking really difficult but is fine with the pump.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:47:03 pm »
I can't milk by hand but can with the EZ(by the way JayKay any ideas where to get extra bottles in this country the postage alone from America is £23! :o ) I thought I could get away with using a lamb bottle but the threads are slightly differant.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »
Thank you.  I remember watching the video now.  I wouldn't be able to squeeze it with my right hand but need to try the tennis ball with my left hand.  No arthritis in my left knuckles but some starting in my left wrist.  Strange as it may seem, I find it less painful reaching through to the far side with my left hand and using my right hand on the nearer teat.  There's no way I can use both hands at the same time but I need to be ready to whip the bucket away as she is not keen on having one teat milked.
Tizaala, I've pm'd you.

My big dread is that I will have to rehome my goats as I can do so little now.  Fortunately I have a very good friend who milks once a day, sweeps the yard occasionally and, with her OH, mucks out fortnightly for me.  That, together with  my OH mixing feeds and carrying buckets (and this is the man who really would rather we didn't keep goats) keeps us going.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:08:43 pm »
Well, I got the bits to repair my pump (I dropped it  :eyelashes:) from

www.horserequisites.co.uk who are in Newmarket. 01638 664619  sales@horserequisites.co.uk

so they'd be my first port of call.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:14 pm »
Thanks I looked at their web but thought they only sold the complete set but I see they do sell spares so will ask :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »
Come back if not, I did have another UK contact but would have to root around for it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:03 pm »
Come back if not, I did have another UK contact but would have to root around for it.
Hi JK (or anyone) If I buy the milker form the horse place, can I buy the inserts in the UK or do you have to send to America for them? keep forgetting to ring the horse (requisites?) co.

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:50:26 am »
Hi there, I bought my goat Udderly EZ from an agent of Udderly who sold all the goat parts and bottles back in 2010. 
His name was David and the number was 01525 375157
07949 575339. I don't know if he still sells their stuff though. I resold mine on eBay pretty quickly, I didn't really get on well with it. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:52:49 am by Joseph »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 04:13:43 am »
That's the other contact Joseph, well done  :thumbsup:

I don't know PHB, I bought mine in 2008 direct from America as there were no agents here then. But as Joseph says, David did the whole goat package. Worth talking to the two dealers here I guess?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 09:20:52 am »
Dave rings a bell did he sell driving harness etc as well?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 01:09:06 am »
Thanks all

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS