Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding sugar beet to pigs  (Read 16997 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Feeding sugar beet to pigs
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
do i need to soak whole fresh pulled sugar beet (ive got a few of this years crop) or do i just chuck it in for them to occupy themselves.... also are the green tops ok

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »
That's a fair point Robert and makes sense. The only reason anyone would use feeds other than routine pig feed would be to save a few quid and I'm no exception.

And so say all of us :) :)

i find that some sows need to eat soo much to keep weight on if they r feeding a big litter, they seem to crap all the sows rolls right out. we offer soaked beet aswell just as extra calories without the weetabix effect    ::) ::)  but dont cut down the rolls. other sows live just basic rations and do v well.

do i need to soak whole fresh pulled sugar beet (ive got a few of this years crop) or do i just chuck it in for them to occupy themselves.... also are the green tops ok

iv never fed fresh beets but i presume u dont soak them as they havent been dried.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 12:12:30 am »
I've fed fodder beet, not sugar beet, whole.  I didn't soak it no, but I did read that the tops must be wilted and too much of the green tops could cause stomach upsets.

Did you look in the Newcastle document?  It usually tells you things like it must be soaked, don't feed the tops, etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 09:41:16 am »

We fed fresh sugar beet (without tops) and didn't have any problems Harry  :thumbsup:
HTH

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS