Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 2089 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Help Please
« on: August 25, 2012, 10:15:57 am »
Lucy one of my two year old kune kunes did not come out for her breakfast.  When I went to look, it took me a while to wake her.  She eventually got up and came outside, and went right back in again.  Not interested in food;
Been to look again, and she is lying outside now.
Yesterday both pigs were let out to eat grass in the field.  Nothing iffy in there, goats and small pony in the field.  Only thing is, both pigs were seen eating horse poo, presumably after the horse feed?
Definitely ate her tea ok last night, and seemed fine.  Any ideas as to what is the matter, and what to do, would be appreciated.

HappyHippy

Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:19 am »
Hiya Roxy  :wave:
I'd check her temp asap - that lets you know if she's just a bit off colour or if it's something more serious (and needing immediate treatment  ;)) It could just be she's having an off day. :relief:
If any of mine miss a meal, I try to wait til the next meal is missed before panicking too much, as long as there's no temp and no obvious reason (gorged on something the day before, hurt leg making moving painful etc) If she's due to come into season that could be affecting her slightly too  :thinking: Try watching her for a bit from afar and see if she seems out of sorts - she maybe just felt a bit lazy this morning ?
Poor Lucy  :-* Hope she's on the mend soon.
Karen x

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:34:35 am »
Ha! Beat me to it! Was just about to suggest checking temperature! 38.6ºC to 39.5ºC is normal.
If she's eating now, sounds like she's over whatever it was, but keep an eye on her and try and separate from the horses. Any other symptoms? Is she coming into season, by any chance?

Best of luck
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:53:15 am »
I wouldn't worry about the horse poo mine love it when they get the chance. :hungry:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »
hope little Lucy is ok, bless her.

:pig:
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:57:29 pm »
Temp was normal this morning, although lay down, not moving, Lucy did not look in serious pain, so went to a farm dispersal sale.  Got back and she had gone back indoors and lay down again  (but it was torrential rain)  .  Called her and she came out and ate her tea ok.
Thanks for your helpful replies.  I have never seen a pig refuse food and stay lay down like that, so probably wrongly assumed Lucy was very ill!!!!  Grumble they are always hungry,but would prefer that than they not eating.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS