Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stinky ducklings - how do you do it?  (Read 6519 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: Stinky ducklings - how do you do it?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 12:48:41 pm »
Ah Morning yes I thought so,how you doing.
How are you getting on building your new duck house.
Are you going to post some pics.

Graham. :wave:
Graham.

Ducknose

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »
Ah morning! Found you whilst searching for advice on these filthy monsters you delivered!
The run I was building is done, just need to cut some greenery back that's in there.
I'm using a spare chicken coop for a house but after seeing yours I'm going to have a go at putting a similar floor in. I take it you don't have a problem with drafts coming up from underneath? I know that can be a real problem for chickens.
I'll stick some pics up when it's all a bit more sorted.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 01:44:58 pm »
Hi,so far I had had no trouble with drafts,I converted my hen houses first,I think you should be able to control any updraft by the amount of ventilation you have at the top of the house for air to escape.It can't be any more drafty than a chicken roosting on up a tree or duck on a river bank.
None of my new style houses have been through a winter yet mind,but damp and cold on wet bedding has got to be far worse than dry but well ventilated.If draft dose prove to be a problem I guess I could always add a skirt round the bottom.I have set the slats closer together than the ones in the picture about 10 to 12 mm,on both the duck and the hen houses.I have used 2" X 1" slats in the duck house and 2" X 2" in the hen houses.
The best part of it is no more wood shavings to keep getting rid of,it has drastically reduced the amount of waist produced by both my chickens and the ducks.
Now I just wash all the waist away with a hose,into the pond then pump it away,very easy.
It is still very much WIP I am currently re doing the concrete base.

Graham.
Graham.

Ducknose

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »
Concrete base isn't an option for me unfortunately, the neighbours are going to love my ducks!!

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »
Hi,as long as you keep the numbers to what you say,you should be OK.You don't really need a drake either.
Any way how can any one not like something as cute as they are. :innocent:

Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS