Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how many chickens  (Read 7198 times)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
how many chickens
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:06:29 am »
Hi all
We have an area about 18ft by 18ft which is in shade (apple and pear trees) so the boss (wife) has said I can get some chickens. In front of this is what will be the veg path about 50ft by 18ft which the chickens will be allowed in during the day a then put back in their enlosure of a night.  They will have a chicken house, so how may chickens can I have in this space. Oh and how high does the fence need to be to stop them jumping to the field next door. The compost bins will be in there as well if thats ok
I am going to live the dream

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: how many chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:59:53 pm »
That's about the half the size of my pen - I will have 10 in there including Jamie, but will get more.  As they're allowed out beyond that some of the time I think you could have more than ten, but the size of tehir shed matters too - I was told that my 6 x 4 foot shed was enough fro 10 and I have a second shed in tehre too, which is lower and slightly smaller.  Rosemary and chickenlady will know better than me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:32:07 pm »
my rooster can jump/fly a good hight have often seen him on top of field gates, my shed (but i think he got up from a nearby wall) and other various hights. i would suggest maybe 6 foot could be totally off here but if they want to get out and your fence is smaller id say they would.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:40:18 pm »
I was thinking 4 may be 6 it would be just for the eggs at first. Dont think I could kill and eat them but ive got to get over that. So how many eggs would I get from say 6 and where do I buy them and how much should I pay? thancks for getting back to me

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:20:09 pm »
I paid about £10 for my 4 Light Sussex as youngsters I think; they were pre point of lay and I had to wait over the winter till they matured.  Point of lay would be more expensive.  Many people don't like LS.  A good laying breed should give you an egg every day in season then some tail off in the winter. A lot of people think Black Rocks are good - depends what there is around you - you don't say what part of the country you're in (oops, nor which country!)  I rescued 6 ex battery hens but you normally don't get 100% laying from them.  I get about 3 or 4 form teh 6.  Just got HUGE egg from one of my ex batts which will be my tea tonight - bet it's a double yolker! yum yum ;D ;D :chook: :chook: :chook:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 06:26:30 pm »
Number of eggs really depends on which breed you go for. Hybrids will lay an egg most days whereas most pure breeds will lay less. A good idea is to look around on the internet at breeders websites and see what you like the look off/will work for you and are available in your area. I have a large flock and a mix of pure breeds and hybrids. Have to say my personal fav is the cochins although they can be a pain as they have feathered legs, don't lay huge numbers of eggs and keep playing at going broody and then changing their mind!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 06:38:27 pm »
But they are cute. Also if you end up with too many males will make a nice meal. Your planning on letting your chuck into you veg patch. You may want to rethink chucks and veg in the same space. I would start with just 2 or 3 hybrids. They are very friendly lay nearly an egg a day and should not cause you too much hastle. If you want something diffrent try a few Brahmas very big birds but also friendly.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 06:44:01 pm »
i bought brown hybirds (£5 each) each lay an egg everyday from the day i bought them (few months ago). personally i wouldnt eat them (well until they become less productive). if you want a bird to eat id go for a meat bird (cornish or a hybrid). you can get dual birds good for laying and eating (dorking)

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:46:51 am »
going to start work on there pen at athe weekend clearing site( over grown with weeds ) and measure up for fence. looked on net and one place was selling pol chickens for between 20 to 40 pound each dont mind paying this if thats the going rate but some of you say 5 to 10 each??? I live in cheshire if thats any thing to go by.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:46:02 am »
I hope the 20-40 quid pol were rare rare breeds or somebody was trying to rip you off. even up here we can get the hybrids for between 6-8 pounds anything more than that and look somewere else.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 08:47:41 am »
If you look around you can often get good deals on POL's. we dont pay more than £8 per bird for hysex or 404's which are your common egg birds.
Ian

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:17:03 pm »
20-40 quid per bird whoever is selling those birds must have big windows, to see yea coming.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 07:39:57 am »
I think your right the price list I found was for very posh looking chickens here the link if its allowed
http://www.perfectpoultry.co.uk/Chickens%20bantams%20and%20eggs.htm
got a few phone numbers for places round here so will give them a bell. It will be a couple of mounth before am at thet stage to by them just working out cost. I want to read so books first a may be vist so places.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12:01 am »
£40 ::) £40 ::)   

£5 to £15 max for a really good bird at pol. there should be loads of breeders round cheshire who could supply you good birds at a good price.try buying a practical poultry magazine and look at the ads in the back, or the website.
regarding your piece of land I would be tempted not to overstock at first. once you have the chicken bug you will more than likely want a few more.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 09:57:03 am »
£45 for a light Sussex they are having a laugh.

try
http://www.heathylee.co.uk/index_files/poultry.htm

this is what they are charging still a bit high.
CHICKENS CURRENTLY IN STOCK (as at 13th April 2009)

Warrens                        £8         

Black Rocks               £14       

Bluebelles                    £14       

Daisybelles                  £14       

Sussex                          £14

Speckledy                     £14       
http://www.creagmhorpoultry.co.uk/index.html
seems a nice one

http://www.faverollenik.com/

expensive at 20 quid each

you should be able to get hybrids for between £6-8. Anything more than say £10 and you want them to be a traditional breed. As these are your first birds don't opt for the ex battery chucks. They need a bit more looking after to start. Chelford market used to have bird sales maybe more fun but you would need to be careful. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS