Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soremouth/Orf?  (Read 1393 times)

tinwheeler

• Joined Mar 2012
Soremouth/Orf?
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:58 pm »
Hi all

I'm pretty sure that I've got a case of Soremouth in one of my goats and probably in the other as well. They also free-range with a few sheep so am assuming it will transmit to them as well.

Any advice?!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Soremouth/Orf?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:39:53 pm »
For now, all you can do is help it heal and make sure it doesn't get infected. Iodine spray, which you can get from the feedstore, is good. People swear by all sorts, Daz washing powder, vinegar......

Keep an eye that it doesn't get infected (the iodine will help with that too) but you can use blue antibiotic footspray from the vets if it does. Good stuff to have about anyway.

It will spread. And it can spread to you too, so wear latex gloves or use an alcohol handwash when you're dealing with them, don't scratch your face, and careful it isn't you that spreads it from one to the other - the waterless handwashes are better than gloves in that respect.

In future, you can 'scratch' against it, which is vaccine, because once it's on your holding you've got it. Talk to your vet about that next spring, as you do lambs and kids around 3 months old - you can do your adults then too, they only need it once.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Soremouth/Orf?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:07:47 pm »
Just googled soremouth and the photos look horrendous.  The site I looked at says there is no point in treating it as it clears up by itself.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS