Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hooves  (Read 2545 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Hooves
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »
I noticed when milking Pom yesterday that one of her hind hooves seems to have the front flaking off.  It's definitely loose and I can move it.  Don't want to lift it too far in case I cause damage.  I've never seen anything like this before.  Her hooves are trimmed regularly although she is a bit overdue this month as I have to rely on a friend to do it now I can't.

Anyone got any ideas please?

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
Re: Hooves
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:32 am »
Hi, :wave: don't worry I think everyone is having problems with their goat/sheep feet this year as it has been so wet. We have had the sme problem with one of our milkers and her feet are trimmed often becauce its so easy to do on the milk stand after she has been milked, I discovered one side almost detatched from the hoof :o but it was not sore and was not causing her any problems, I just cut off the loose bit and sprayed and she is fine.
Ann

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:46:50 pm »
Thanks, Ann.  I'll do that.  I doesn't seem to bother her but I was a bit concerned.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:33:44 pm »
Could be shelly hoof, as previous post it is really prevalent this year. My goats have got it, as have some of my sheep. None of my goats are lame with it, it is just unsightly and I try and keep them cleaned and trimmed regularly.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:15 am »
So can anyone tell us what will happen with this condition? as in another post, my goaties have the same problem, does the horn just gradually re-attach itself as it grows out? (Hopefully)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:28 am »
Give it a good squirt of purple spray to prevent foot rot setting in , and keep her as dry footed as you can , it's a major problem this year with the wet ground.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »
Been waiting for someone to trim hooves and, meantime, the flake fell off.  The hoof is clean and hard behind it so I don't think she has a problem.  I'll keep an eye on it and her other hooves.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 04:24:46 pm »
Just googled shelly hoof and found previous thread. 
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=25632.0  Don't know how I missed it and it wasn't that long ago.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS