Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How Friendly Are Your Sheep?  (Read 10591 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
How Friendly Are Your Sheep?
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:34:22 am »
I was gathering some ewes with lambs at foot today and as I was putting up the pen, I noticed the (presumably orphanned) lambs of the new folk who had moved in next door to one of the farms I graze. They were three fields away and my presence caused them to push under two gates, cross a paddock with a horse in and stand right in next to the other side of the fence looking at me. They did return to their field after 10 mins or so and I gathered my ewes (who usually like to put some distance between me and them except when I have a bucket).

Caused me to think though. I've heard a lot about sheep nicking going on this year and wouldn't they be prime candidates? I think I'd be worried if my sheep were that tame - even my bottle fed orphans don't like me as much as these sheep seemed to.

Do you worry if your sheep are too tame?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: How Friendly Are Your Sheep?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:49:42 am »
Dont have any sheep but our 5 Lambs are stupidly tame
they come running as soon as they see us and I have to drag them out of the feed barn every time I go in there.
They have no fear of dogs and TBH  they think the dogs are just part of the flock , The wolfhound puppy cant quite work out what these white curly coated things are that crowd around her wanting to sniff her every time she goes into the field
Graham

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:49:05 am »
Better too tame than 2 wild, you can always keep them the other side of the fence if they are 2 friendly.

I have about 5 ewes in the flock that will feed from hand, they draw the rest into pens / changes of field etc. I don't have a dog and have lost some of my "Olympic Ability  :excited: "over the years so friendly sheep make everything so much more manageable.

The only negative side i could see would be in terms of theft of livestock, that said my stock are wary of others even if i am present.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:50 am »
Mine are silly tame, we only have 5 and of them 3 would happily live in the house and sleep on the bed if they could  ::)   other 2 are manageable. However...if a stranger comes to the field you'd think all hell had broken loose with the bleating and running about they do, even if its someone I'm standing with. I feel *fairly* confident that they'd not be a theft risk from the point of view of being too tame but who knows? its a scary thought. On the other hand they are massive, even the lambs are big boys now. Any thieves would have to get to get through 2 fields (inaccessible with vehicles) past 2 gypsy cobs and through our gate before even reaching the sheep. Our own vehicular access passes by our office and bedroom window so we are  :fc:  fairly safe  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:53:55 am »
I was wondering about this one :thinking: but If someone wanted to turn up with a trailer then it would probably be as easy to herd in a bunch of fearful sheep using a dog or a couple of helpers as it would to entice in a bunch of confident sheep with a bucket.
I am hoping that the fact that mine are now bright green from rubbing themselves on the LPG tank would put people off ;D

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:55:01 am »
Some of my sheep are tame (brought up on the bottle). This is great when I'm trying to get them to eat feeding but as soon as I need to catch them or put them in a handling system they become as wild as feral goats! Most annoying, thankfully the collies are stil fit to hold them or the job would be much much harder!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:58:31 am »
Our 6 lambs are very tame... they come to me more than anyone else on the farm which is helpful. However they can be a pain so they are now out on 10 acres of grass/corn hash with 6 young heifers just to distance them a bit. They still come when called though and share the heifers corn every morning.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:46 am »
I was wondering about this one :thinking: but If someone wanted to turn up with a trailer then it would probably be as easy to herd in a bunch of fearful sheep using a dog or a couple of helpers as it would to entice in a bunch of confident sheep with a bucket.
I am hoping that the fact that mine are now bright green from rubbing themselves on the LPG tank would put people off ;D

The shepherd who came to gather our sheep which includes soays and castlemilk moorits was flummoxed as was his dog - it took 4 adults, 5 children and his dog to get them in for shearing.  My OH knows someone who had to shoot their soays, they could never catch them from the hill.  Should have bought a bigger feed bucket I think  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:53:47 am »
Most of my ewes that I've had from young (and one or two older ones) are very tame.  Yes they would follow anyone for a bucket but I'd rather that then they were a pain to catch (I have some very flighty ones who are always a nightmare when it's time for maintenance!).  All I have to do is rattle a bucket, shout 'SHEEP!!!' and they all come bombing over  ;D

However, as has been said - if they suspect you are up to something it's a totally different story  ::)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:55:50 am »
My Soay range in tameness. Some jump up, while others, though they follow the bucket, keep a distance away. The very confident ones will eat out of strangers hands so possibly could be stolen. Any fast movements or unfamiliar situations tend to freak even these ones though. Think a collie in the field would just cause chaos.

Most people seem to think that my sheep are goats or deer.  ::)   ;D

Is there much incidence of theft of primitive sheep?

Do sheep thieves tend to turn up with a dog and trailer? How is it done?

5 tups were stolen recently from a field near here.  :o 

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:57 pm »
4 of my 5 (the lambs) are very friendly. The GFD ewe less so - she is 10 years old and nobody's fool - very suspicious that attention from us means Things Being Done to her! One of the lambs is a tiny, timid Shetland ewe who until recently wouldn't come to the feeding trough or near us at all. She's suddenly gained confidence and when I was sitting in the field looking them over the other day, she came up and lay down right next to me with her chin on my knee wanting a head scratch!

The 2 GFD lambs are stupid friendly and ditto the Hebridean cross - just as well he is easy to entice and treat as he has developed a nasty infection around one of his ear tags - masses of pus and blood - just as well I'm not squeamish. Cleaning with salt water and spraying with purple so hoping it heals up soon  :fc: Whose stupid idea was it to tag sheep? The Shetland lost hers almost immediately and tore her ear right across (Sorry - off topic rant!)
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Newsheep

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:52 pm »
Friendly is perhaps not the right word for my sheep but they do come when I whistle and 3 will feed out of my hand including the tup which is useful when you need to catch them.  However, this does not apply if anyone else is around as I am ok, hubby and self is tolerable but 3 or more is a posse and they scarper to the other end of the field  ::)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 09:11:12 pm »
Theft is exactly why mine are trained to a bucket but almost impossible to grab hold of....except one or two one of which is a wether who is old and not worth a lot. I graze some public land and several other fields with foot paths in them and the gates are ALL padlocked with hefty chains. Silly tame sheep are very stealable and there are lots going awol.... :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 09:38:05 pm »
Well one of my shetlands is very tame; as for friendly? well she once pinned the parcel force delivery bloke to the gate whilst she checked out the parcel for edibility - he saw the funny side of it - but it served him right for going through the gate.

More seriously, I'm lucky in my new place that the only way to get a vehicle in is through the yard & past the house.

marcus

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
Most of mine are stupidly friendly and will follow anyone with a bucket :-[
BUT good gods they are noisy whilst doing so! Where we graze there are  people that would be instantly on the alert if my guys kicked off with the noise as they all know they sheep only shout like that is someone is there.

But yes I do worry, I have OCD I ALWAYS worry :D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS