Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of Sheep  (Read 5977 times)

FarmerJase

• Joined Feb 2012
Price of Sheep
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:19 pm »
Hi All,
We are looking to buy some Herdwicks (about half a dozen) as the basis of our new 'permanent' flock. We are probably looking to get some ewe lambs with a view of putting them with the ram next year (so we all get used to each other first!). Having only ever bought some white face lambs for the freezer each year from a cousing based on a price of £1 a lb, I've no real idea of what to paying for this type of breed. There are a few herds in the general areas, but not many, so does anyone have any advice on what we should be paying please?
Cheers

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Price of Sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:18:52 pm »
Have pm'd you

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:40:24 pm »
Price of Herdwicks depends what you are prepared to pay! Why Herdwicks FarmerJase? I love them but  find them tricky. They are not put off by a dog (will walk straight through them) they tend to have lambing difficulties that they don't want you to help with and they only have carpet quality wool.

Take no notice of me if you love them. They break my heart.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »
we have no problems with them lambing, the meat is superb and ours, all 70 odd, will come to the bucket.  i admit the fleece is no use but then there isn't much of it!

why do we have them?  they are totally beautiful and a great sheep for beginners as they are not too big to handle

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:24:00 pm »
Nothing against Herdwicks, but thats the first time I've heard them described as being great for beginners, but mostly cos they have a reputation of arriving in a field, jumping the fence in the first hour and never being seen again.  :P

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »
'They' say that about Soay too, and various other breeds, but ours never jumped  :thumbsup:   As always with sheep, it depends on how your animals were reared and how you handle them  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:31:05 am »
I guess it might vary if you breed them and raise them or if you are buying them in when they havent had much handling at their original home.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:55 pm »
Beautiful sheep to look at.  My neighbour has some and they are forever trying to escape ::) if he puts them in a 3 acre field next to ours.  When he lets them run loose on 20 'wild' acres of hillside they seem much more contented.

FarmerJase

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:20:33 pm »
We've chosen Herdwicks on the basis that they appear to have not a bad caracass, are not too big to handle and are also quite nice to look at!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »
They are renowned for being being bloody tough while ranging over big distances and living off anything they can find.  'Good for the beginner' probably means that they're impossible to kill because they don't need you for anything.  Deer fencing sounds like it might be needed though.

Let us know how it goes
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:52:55 pm »
Herdwick are the sheep of choice round here for many of the traditional farmers. One of whom told me when I was going to have them. "You could put a couple on here but you'd never see them again"
They wouldn't be my first thought as suitable for a beginner. They've been bred over hundreds of years to spend time alone on the fells ........... that about sums it up.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:17:18 pm »
Don't know anything about Herdwicks and we are inexperienced sheep keepers. We bought 7 Soay ewes about 2 years ago and as FW says they have a reputation for jumping/escaping. They had not been well handled or seen people much and when we first had them we could get nowhere near them. However they were following a bucket after a few weeks and have never escaped apart from one lamb who managed to get under a fence. We have normal stock fence but do check it constantly. I think they are well capable of jumping our fences but so far have never seemed inclined to do so. Maybe the Herdwicks would be the same  ??? . Is there a society for them? I spoke to the sec. of the Soay Society about various aspects of keeping the breed including their reputation for escape. Found it very useful.

Good luck  :fc:

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:29 pm »
our first sheep were a mixed bunch of rare breeds. the soays used to jump the stock fence and bugger off. the herdwicks were lovely. we had  2 ewes and a gorgeous tupp, were no bother to catch either.
i was really keen on getting more til the local breeder told me how poor their fleece was. i presume if u get a hill strain they will be wilder than paddock raised sheep, alot is learnt from the parents.
cant help u with prices - except we sell our registered boreray ewe lambs for £100 each.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:51:45 pm by princesspiggy »

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 05:48:31 pm »
Hi,
 in answer to your origional question on price. I have been looking at prices of different registered rare breeds recently and have found that a number of breed societies seem to use the avarage price from the previous years national breed society show and sale as a guide price.
Failing that contacting the breed society for an idea of price would give you a good starting point.
If any have gone through your local auction centre recently the centre may be prepared to give you an idea of price but they may require the lot number so you would need the sale brochure.
Personally I found that the price depended on supply and demand. If someone in the area has the breed that you want then the price is really what you can agree with the seller but to give you an idea, prices ranged from £100 to £200 a ewe depandant on breed, age, area, availability and pedigree if that helps.

Hope you find some :sheep:   

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 06:31:47 pm »
Have pm'd you  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS