Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dying courgette plants  (Read 8189 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
dying courgette plants
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:59 pm »
now I'm really fed up, after rotting bean seeds I have found my courgettes started wilting overnight. I have started them off in loo rolls first time and repotted them about 3 days ago complete into bigger pots. Must say that I've never had a problem other than slugs with courgettes before and the only thing different this year was the loo rolls due to recommendation - I do have a suspicion that I will go back to good old seed trays and pots!!! :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: dying courgette plants
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:18:48 pm »
i might say due to large about of rain it might be a mould problem extended by the loo roll.

I had an idea about the loo roll as pots, I have never had much luck with them as pot.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:15:58 pm »
OK, 1st time growing courgettes

I've got 5 of them out in the greenhouse, they are in 7 litre pots, and the plants are about 5-7 inches. Some nice broad leaves

planted just in normal garden compost, only being watered, i've not been feeding them anything

on the whole, they look well.

last few days have been a bit hot and sunny and temps in the greenhouse have been rocketing. into the 30+ category.

anyway, a few of the leaves have gone a bit "crispy" and a bit yellowish. The plant itself looks fine just now, just the edges of the bigger leaves

now, it could be that the pots aren't big enough and the soil is being dried out too quickly - so more watering is needed

or it could be that the direct sunlight is burning them - like a baby on the beach with no sun cream!

or it could be it's lacking nutrients

what do we think?

also, providing i've not killed them, how are they going to do in a 7 litre pot? will i need to move them into something bigger and will i need to give them some supporting rods and encourage them to grow upwards?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:23:09 pm »
courgette are big drinker and arn't a big fan of the direct sun
Linz

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:31:24 pm »
it also appears that the "nurse" leaves do this!!!

the ones that break through the seed and soil tend to die and let the rest grow - so i think i'm good. Gonna move them under teh bench in the greenhouse and let the pots sit in a seed tray with plenty water in it. that should do the business

Wellieboots

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »
planted my grown from seed courgettes out the other week, nice & warm so summer is on its way me thinks...then we get a freekin late frost so that's them tattied >:( Back to the seed packet & start again then!

But calebrase, purple broccoli & caulies all went in this week, as they were turning into terrible teenagers & growing too much even in the cold frame ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS