Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To name or not to name? (Including use of 'correct' terminology)  (Read 8290 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Picking up on a post in Pigs, urging us all to refer to our growers as boars and gilts and not as boys and girls...

I didn't want to hijack the thread there, but I did want to pick up on that point.

We're all entitled to our personal preferences, and to express them, of course.  But not, I think, to insist on others following them.

Telling me I mustn't refer to my breeding ewes as "the girls" would be like telling me I mustn't name my breeding sow. 

Anthropomorphising is perhaps unhealthy, but referring to our livestock in ways which, to us, confers recognition of their personality, contribution, needs, drivers, whatever, is not, in my view, wrong.  A ewe referred to as 'mum' invokes recognition of her maternal instincts, and may result in handling which is more sensitive to her needs than if she were referred to as 'the ewe'.  Or not.  But I can't see that it does any harm.

I can't give you a reference, so this could be agricultural myth, but I have heard of research which showed that cows given names were more productive than those referred to only by their management numbers.  We're beef farmers, and we do not find this at all hard to believe - not because cows like to have their own names (although they do know their own name if you give them one and use it), but because of the subtle difference in the way you treat an animal you refer to and think of by name. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

deepinthewoods

Re: To name or not to name? (Including use of 'correct' terminology)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:54:25 am »
well said. :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:09:18 am »
I agree  :thumbsup:
It's good to know the difference between gilts and sows, heifers and cows etc from a husbandry & knowledge point of view obviously, but what you call them is up to you  ;)
My Large Blacks would be most offended at 'girls' though - they prefer 'ladies'  ;D

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:03 am »
My animals get called all sorts of names :innocent:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:51 am »
I agree too  :thumbsup:
Sally i also have heard the thing about milking cows with names giving more milk and being easier to handle.
My pigs are babies, girlies & boys, one gilt actually answers to girly! And yes composto mune get some other choice names occaisionally too  :innocent:
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
i was starting to  :rant: but it got lost in the speed typing      i agree with everybody  as long as the bones of the query or information is able to be translated there is no problem but then a castrated male would need to be referred to as a barrow  wither you use that barrow to take it to the compost heap  :roflanim: is up to the reader
yes cows do respond to that personal touch as do any animal just look or observe dogs in the family situation a dog will come to you when you are needing comfort equally it will get f*** if you are angry not necessarily it it
chooks chickens etc are hens and cocks  but why berate a poster for incorrect terminology just as some are apostrophe police and cringe at spelling mistakes
the whole point of this site is to pass on information and possible pitfalls so others will not make the same mistakes or point them in a better direction without having to shell out a fortune for that information

in all honesty when i first came on here i was :roflanim: at some of the posts and that was just the replies never mind the initial questions  :farmer:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:42:43 am »
I don't think it matters one bit what people call things. It's up to them and i don't think anyone should say they can't. I can understand if it gets confusing but that isn't the case when you say girls and boys as you ain't going to get confused.

No idea why chooks is offensive either as that is what i call them at feeding time.

Helen

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:58:11 am »
 :thumbsup:  Yes Sally.

My farming neighbour, who I consider a really good farmer and is well respected by everyone around here, refers to his ewes as "girls" and calls them by shouting this. Sure he knows all the correct terminology! Me too, but I refer to them as lads, girls, ladies or whatever. I don't give individual names to males that won't stay here but this is mainly to help my children to understand/accept that these will have to go. This approach was explained to me by a smallholder up here .... used with her boys many years ago and for us it seems to work. These animals are thought none the less of.

As for posts ..... well ..... much better to ask than not ask. Some people have not had the benefit of growing up around animals and yes may know nothing. If they are asking then good for them.  :thumbsup:  How can anyone learn if they don't ask?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:18:45 pm »
I didn't see the original post in 'pigs' so I don't know what set this off.

I tend to use a mixture of the 'proper' names plus a few more general terms, having had my aunt nagging me forever not to call my sheep 'girls' and 'boys'  ::) .  It can be clearer to be specific if you want to refer to a ewe hogg, say, as opposed to a 'four shear ewe', where the difference is relevant to the conversation, but surely there is nothing wrong whatsoever with calling your animals sheepies, lambies, lambkins, girlies, wee b@$t@3?s, chooks, henny pennies and henloos (which is what I call mine  :-[ ), nan, old goat, porky, piggywig, quackers, mookies, whatever  :sunshine: .  Speech is free, use it as you will  :thumbsup:

The only reason to know and use the 'proper' terminology is to maintain your cred at the mart  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 02:31:02 pm »
mandy a female milker will get more milk out a cow than a male will iether  hand milking or machine milking :farmer:

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:58:58 pm »
I shout come on girls when I'm feeding the sows, they don't seem to mind, could shout anything to them really they wouldn't give two hoots, it would be the neighbours who would be offended  ;D .

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 06:48:18 pm »
All my Rough Fells had individual names, since they could be told apart by their face markings.

It was either call them 'Three Spot' or 'Freckles' or say 'that three shear we got from Mr Harrison' - so in the end it was shorthand  :D

Now since I don't speak about my Shetlands to anyone else who knows them, I recognise them but don't name them.

My Dad has a thing about calling animals 'girls' or 'boys' and corrects any visiting children  ::). So boring, life is far too short!

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »
husband, big farmer, calls all his females, cows and sheep "susie" then he never forgets thier names much to the kids amusement!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 06:56:46 pm »
I have a friend who does something similar with his mistresses!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »
My goats all respond when I call "Girls,"  including the male.  Maybe because there is usually food around.  I refer to them as my girls.  My dogs are two boys and a girl.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS