Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple Cider vinegar  (Read 2897 times)

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
Apple Cider vinegar
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:11 am »
I was just wondering why it needs to be apple cider vinegar that we give to chickens rather than any other type of vinegar, as it seems that the purpose of the vinegar is to increase the gut acidity, why would any other type not do just the same job , but at less cost  :thumbsup:
I accept that there may be additional micronutrients or minerals in the cider vinegar that you wouldn't get in the chip shop malt vinegar, but if I am using in just for acidity and am relying on the good balanced food they get to provide the nutrients then is there any reason why I can use a different type of vinegar?
 :thinking:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Apple Cider vinegar
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:32 am »
Malt vinegar is made from barley and much more acidic, cider vinegar is well known for various health benefits including ph levels in the gut.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »
Thanks Fowlman I hadn't thought about looking at the acidity, so have gone and done a quick check and the acidity of most shop bought cider vinegars is around 5%, which is comparable with red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar and malt vinegar. 

For anybody intersted in the science behind vinegar I found this site
http://www.versatilevinegar.org/faqs.html

so it appears that the additional benefits seem to be related to the nutrients that are imparted by the source material, which if I am giving them a  good varied diet should be available anyway.

So i am going to do a test and give one lot of my hens cider vinegar and the others malt vinegar, then i will get OH to score them on how healthy they look, egg yield , energy levels...anything else I can think off.  i wont tell him which have had which vinegar and see if there is any difference.  I guess if I run this for a fortnight we should be able to see any difference....I suppose to be totally fair I should have  a third group who don't get any vinegar...but I don't have enough space to be able to split the flock into 3.

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »
If you do this you should write it up as an article for one of the smallholder magazines. A lot of the things we are advised to do I am sure do not have any good evidence base. The problem is to detect any difference you would probably need thousands of chickens!

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 03:34:24 pm »
I do have 30 chickens so my sample size is a bit on the small size but it will be fun anyway. 

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:19:15 pm »
We've stopped ACV as the benefits are not measurable but the cost is. Whilst there are trace elements and stuff they should get that free ranging. Gut acidity helps with worms, but only if it is used occasionally, as the worms adapt to it if used continuously. Coccidiosis is restricted, but only killed at a 3% mix and ours won't drink anything above 1.5%. We now add it to the odd fresh drinker no more than once a month, if only to use it up. I think our money would be better spent on some fresh veg over Winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS