Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoirs in Northern Ireland  (Read 9169 times)

uwalker

• Joined Aug 2012
Abattoirs in Northern Ireland
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:45 pm »
Hi. Does anyone know of a good abattoir in Northern Ireland for slaughtering and butchering pigs? We have a litter of ten, currently 16 week old and need to be making plans for a few months down the line. Thanks

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Abattoirs in Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:21:16 pm »
see the pigs section for good abbattoir guide might be something in there, by the way welcome lots of info in piggy section for you.
mandy :pig:

uwalker

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:23:50 pm »
Thanks Mandy. I had been hoping to find something local to us in County Down so that we don't have to travel too far. I can only find really big commercial meat processors but would prefer to be going to somewhere a bit smaller (friendlier?)

The pig section has been my guide since before we got the pigs - following advice to have an abattoir lined up in advance has not been so easy.

Best wishes from sunny (for once this year) Strangford. :sunshine:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:27:48 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from sunny Shropshire.

uwalker

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:42 pm »
Thank you for the welcome!

mcginty

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Tyrone, N.I.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:26:31 pm »
Hi! from omagh, tyrone
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

uwalker

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:44 am »
Great to hear from someone else in NI. Do you keep pigs?  :pig:

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:57:53 pm »
Hi from Bangor.

If you ever find a good abattoir/butcher please let us know.  It is the only thing holding us up at the moment with animals.

Thanks.

uwalker

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »
Sorry. Haven't checked this for a bit. We had to sent 6 of our 10 pigs to market at 5 months old. It was costing too much to feed them all. We still have the other 4 and hope we can find people to buy the meat from 2 of them. We have made contact with someone who slaughters for small producers. Details have yet to be finalaised - we think we will hold onto the pigs until the end of October. He is based in Armagh, which is not so local but better than alternatives - such as Tyrone. I'll let you know how it goes. Also costs for both slaughter and butchering. If you are thinking of keeping pigs you should start making enquiries into the cost of feed - it seems to be much dearer in NI than other parts of the UK.
Hope this is helpful.

wifflebat

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 08:31:48 am »
Hi uwalker - from miserable Newtownabbey   :raining:

Could you share the details of the small producer slaughterer  :o   in Armagh please? We have some overgrown land that I'd like to put a couple of pigs on but a local small-scale abbatoir is my main concern.
Ideally I'd like something a bit closer though and the only info I've managed to find is on Dunbia in Cullybackey or rumours that there used to be one in Larne!!
Not something that is easily found in the yellow pages!

Now I'm off to scour the pig section for some info!

uwalker

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 03:57:14 pm »
Sorry. I haven't been checking this lately. The pigs are due to be slaughtered this weekend. We thought we had found someone more local - but none of our repeated phonecalls were answered. So we will be using the Armagh man. He will collect pigs from the local mart - in our case Downpatrick - so that helps re transport. Not sure how it will all go - we have to fine some more people who want to buy a quarter pig!

I'll try to remember to post with info about how it goes.

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 02:54:28 pm »
Hi Uwalker,

How did you get on with the pigs ging to Armagh?

If you could share any contact details it would be appreciated. 

I found a couple of abattoirs in Dungannon/Craigavon but they are more commercial focused and will only take a minimum of 5 animals at a time.  Can't believe in such an agricultural region it so poorly served for local abattoirs.

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 01:08:46 pm »
Anyone have any experience of Lakeview Farm or Oakdale Meat abattoirs in NI?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS