Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting Sheep onto long grass  (Read 14364 times)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Putting Sheep onto long grass
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:14:25 am »
New sheep keeper (  :dunce:  ), getting Kerry Hill sheep shortly. My grass is long - is it a very bad idea to put the sheep onto long grass ?scald.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Simon

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Putting Sheep onto long grass
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:21:40 am »
My advice would be to get two things
a topper to get the grass down a bit, but it does depend on how long it is. Scald isn't an horrendous problem.
The second thing to get would be binoculars so you can see your sheep. Kerry Hills are know for running to the other side of the field when you walk in the gate.
Lovely sheep though.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:42 am »

The trouble is, at the moment it's just so wet everywhere, so under all that long grass will be a nice wet'n'warm environment where nasty footrot bacteria will lie.  So yes, you will get scald, but it is more likely to turn into footrot.  So...

If you can get it topped do so.

Or

Strip graze it with some electric fence.  This will minimise them walking through the long grass.  Also, they will graze it more efficiently and less will get wasted due to "trampling".  Move the fence a little twice a day, the more often you move it the less likely they will try to jump the fence.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:43 am »
What's scald then?  :dunce:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:54 am »
Sheep will cope whatever the length, just keep an eye on them for problems. Not all of us can top grass due to the ground conditions...eg trees/steep slopes/ etc or lack of equipment or contractors willing to do it without charging a small fortune! You just have to cope and manage with what you have sometimes :thumbsup:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:10 am »
What's scald then?  :dunce:

Its clled 'strip' down here in the west and its a fungal infection a bit like athletes foot and occurs between the 2 parts of the cloven hoof. Its very painful and needs urgent treatment with antibiotic spray to all 4 feet and left untreated can progress on to foot rot.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »
As long as the sheep are settled and not being 'put up' all the time they should be fine.

Scaled happens when the shaft of grass cuts up between the clease (hoofs) and makes them sore.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:20:32 pm »
Mine are always on long grass due to environmental reasons (VERY steep hill and when we tried to top it the machine slid down the hill!) we do however strim a path through and around the orchard and a main path to get to it. They are on about 3 acres and they do tend to stick to this strimmed path.
We've had no scald and I'm checking regularly.  I did get scald on 2 goats though.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:51:14 pm »
Mine are on a mix of long and strimmed grass.  Can't top because its too hilly and stoney.
As we had some better weather last week more of the grass has been strimmed but they did seem to be enjoying hiding in the long grass prior to that.  We didn't have any scald
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:51 pm »
I've put sheep on long grass with no ill effects plenty of times, if they are prone to scald/rot, they are prone to it - footvax em or cull em.

am produce

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »
I have a very overgrown field we have only just acquired it from the council should i cut it down abit before i allow any sheep on he field

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »
Get down to your local feed merchant, there will be adverts on the board for contractors, or ask the feed merchants, he knows what people do in the area, get a few numbers and get prices for topping your field.  you should be quoted so much per acre, we pay no more than £20 per acre but it may well be different where you live.

give it a week or so then put on sheep.  better still, seeing as it's a council field, fence it... then put on sheep! :thumbsup:

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:52:17 am »
Thanks all for your advice very helpful replies
simon

katyd1991

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 05:59:43 pm »
Depending on the length of grass you may get scould.
also i would ensure you dag your sheep as you my find that the grass is too "rich" for them and therefore causing a dirty behind.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS