Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen off her legs  (Read 4434 times)

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
Hen off her legs
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:29:29 am »
Hi I have a 21 week old hen which has suddenly gone off her legs, I do have 2 cockerels same age which had started to give the hens a hard time, now separated. Its been 2 days with no improvement does anyone have any ideas? She seems fine otherwise, just won’t stand/walk.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
Re: Hen off her legs
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:14 am »
I'm wondering if she could be broody already? Seems quite young though  ??? .

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:52:50 am »
Has she started laying yet?  POL is a very stressful time for pullets, and if there is an underlying problem it will often tend to surface then

How does she look?  Is she eating a drinking well, but just can't get around?  A photo might be helpful.  ;)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:02:33 am »
Thanks for the replies, yes she seems to be drinking and eating OK. Just cleaned the house out and had chance to observe her, I would say it looks like from the knee down to her feet look almost paralysed. She has made her way out into the run this morning. She is about POL could this be the issue. will try and get a photo later.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:34:23 pm »
Either an injury caused by the cockerel's weight on her young frame or as DBE says an inherent problem has surfaced with the surge of hormones before lay. We had a legbar developed Lymphoid Lucosis at that point. But if she has managed to get into the run today RonMinch it sounds like injury.

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »
Thanks Chrismahon, if its an injury is it likely she will improve or should I count this one as a loss, one of the cockerels is going in the pot, so t speak, so hopefully the other will settle down. Ron.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »
Hopefully it's an injury and she will recover or  it could be mareks. Check mareks symptoms to see if they tally with your pullet.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS