Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pork kidneys  (Read 7069 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
pork kidneys
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
anyone got reciept  ???  ideas what i can do with 7 pigs worth of pork kidneys,

HappyHippy

Re: pork kidneys
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:12:01 pm »
 :dunce: Don't make pate  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:57:14 pm by HappyHippy »

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:21:52 pm »
There are no kidneys in either recipe!   As for the liver, I too make pate with every last ounce of it, love my recipe which has pistachios and cranberries and port, freezes and defrosts well, but I have been thinking of adding some kidney to the mix as I can never think what to do with them, and don't particularly like kidneys per se.  Anyone tried adding kidney to sausages?  Tamsaddle

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »
urine flavoured sausages       i wont be trying it :o :farmer:

rudolph76

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:31:22 pm »
There are no kidneys in either recipe!   As for the liver, I too make pate with every last ounce of it, love my recipe which has pistachios and cranberries and port, freezes and defrosts well, but I have been thinking of adding some kidney to the mix as I can never think what to do with them, and don't particularly like kidneys per se.  Anyone tried adding kidney to sausages?  Tamsaddle

do you have a recipe tamsaddle?

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »
There are no kidneys in either recipe! 
Nope, neither there are  ::) Sorry - brain drain  :innocent: :D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 01:00:42 pm »
Pigs kidneys are good cut in half the tubes removed and then fried and used in a mixed grill or with bacon and eggs and tomatoes.  They freeze fine so you could cut and prepare them then use them as needed

I find the "urine" taste comes when they are used too fresh

I use lambs kidneys devilled - mince the kidneys, soften some chopt onion, lightly cook the kidneys add some Worcestershire Sauce, salt, pepper and a slooch of double cream and maybe a glug of Amontillado sherry, and serve on buttered toast.  Might work for pigs kidney - can't see why not.

If anyone ever has some beef kidney to spare I would willingly buy it from them.  I have lots of shin, but have used up all the beef kidney   :D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 01:43:12 pm »
Hi Harry

We freeze all the pig kidneys and use them for steak and kidney pudding/pie.

Lorraine

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »
Sounds gorgeous tamside where did you get the recipe ?
Graham

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 06:23:10 pm »
yup steak + kidney pie was an obvious but i have plenty so may grill some............ googled how to make pate will try a recipe... liver butter cream and brandy.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:29:53 pm »
This is my liver pate recipe.  It started off from the Hugh FW Meat book, then has been adapted by me.  Sorry it is rather long winded.  It is more like a terrine, and very coarse.
1.5 kg liver
500 g sausage meat
2 large onions, finely chopped and fried in pig fat
1 kg or more streaky bacon, rindless, to line baking tins
150 ml port
150 ml brandy
2 tablespoons double cream
200 g breadcrumbs
approx. 1 tablespoon each sage, thyme, mace
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
max 1 teaspoon each ground black pepper and salt.  DO NOT ADD TOO MUCH SALT
approx. 150 g shelled unsalted pistachio nuts, blitzed or chopped to make smaller
approx. 100 g dried cranberries, chopped to make smaller

Line rectangular loaf baking tins with streaky bacon rashers
Blitz liver in food processor until it looks like very thick mud
Mix everything together, shouldn't be too runny, more like a thick paste
Fill to top of baking tins.  Fold over bacon ends.
Cover with a double layer of buttered foil
Bake tins in large roasting dish with water all round base of baking tins at 160 degrees for 1 hour 20 minutes.  Top up the water if necessary.   
Take out of oven and press down, in baking tins, with weights, eg tins of veg or anything heavy the right shape.  When nearly cold turn pate out of baking tins.
Flavour develops best after 2 to 3 days unfrozen in fridge.
Cut into smaller lengths and freeze separately, then you can get bits out whenever you feel like.

Tamsaddle

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »
thankyou  :thumbsup:
Graham

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:59:12 am »
Devilled, on toast, for supper. My way: kidneys in half (if lambs) or pieces. Dredge in a mixture of dry spices (mustard powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper) and with a little flour to bulk it out, seasoned well with salt. Immediately fry in butter. Deglaze pan with sherry and thicken a little to drizzle over. Brioche is especially good for the toast.  :thumbsup:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS