Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Essex pigs  (Read 12452 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Essex pigs
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »
Oh well, they're 100% good old pigs as far as I'm concerned the dears of them. What would have gone into them then to increase size and litter sizes (9,9, 5 and 7) do you suppose?

kitchen cottage

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 06:55:10 pm »
Jimmy's farm Essex pigs were lop-eared. In fact when he entered a boar in a show the judge called him (the pig) a Saddleback with no come back ???

Thats because they are saddlebacks.  The BRITISH saddleback is a cross between the Wessex Pig and the Essex Pig (both saddleback adapted to their geography)

The Essex Pig is a saddleback which hasn't got Wessex Saddleback in it.  As I said, the only pure bloodline is from one farm.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 09:26:53 pm »
How on earth would you know the difference KC, and is the only farm Jimmy's farm? :pig: :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:01:40 pm »
if it is only one farm that has them    they must be well inbred by now :farmer:

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »
In my younger days essex pigs were well in bred, with high heels, white skirts and little brains but lots of fun ;D   

kitchen cottage

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
Jimmys farm DOESN'T have a breed like of Essex Pigs.

He bought his original pigs from Pets Corner in Harlow where mine came from...,  they all died because he put them in woodland and they aren't bred for that..... which he was told  He bought some more but has since diversified big time, so keeps all sorts of pigs, including large whites cos he has his own range of food out.  he hasn't got a separate breeding line for Essex.

He isn't trying to get the Essex reinstated as a breed, the Essex Pig Society is!  FFS, he's just jumped on a bandwagon!

There are a lot about actually for a rare breed pig, problem is ensuring the blood line is pure, there are only about 14 potential pairs.

My view, I like that I have a friendly, affable, hardy sow who produces lovely piglets and lovely meat.  If I'm more likely to keep that in future by having the Essex as a separate breed, I'm all for it.

I raise meat pigs, which I don't register, I will register Domini, my replacement sow.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:52 am »
I would be very interested to know the registered name of one of the Essex pigs that you claim still exist. Unfortunately, examination of the herd book and DNA analysis at different times has failed to identify any pure Essex or Wessex pigs in the UK and current registered British Saddlebacks have some degree of introgression of the 'other breed' in them somewhere. The amalgamation took place in 1967 and is now regarded as a major mistake but we cannot unfortunately undo what has been done in the intervening years. There is a small population of what appears to be pure Wessex Saddlebacks in Australia.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 04:29:07 pm »
There was an article in PP magazine(I think) that stated that there was no distinct essex or wessex lines within the BS herdbook. So are these "essex" pigs that are outside the BS herdbook recorded in any way? I would have thought that to have any hope of reinstating the breed it would need to have several generations of accurate breeding records?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »
Oh well, he seemed a nice bloke though a bit of a twit. Imagine trying to keep pigs behind a couple of strands of barbed wire or just putting poultry out on free range and expecting them to take care of themselves(foxy took care of most of them ::) )
Nevertheless he seems to have come up trumps, how I don't know ??? ???

kitchen cottage

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »
The records are kept by the Essex Pig Society.  Charlotte is a direct descendant of the Glascote herd, whih wasn't interbred.
I certainly don't agree that its acknowledged that the Essex is extinct (as you suggest), for an Essex Bird Charlotte can track her lineage a lot better than most of the other Mothers round here!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »

hes not a mate of the people who had the boar is he sylvia?? ;)

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:02 am »
kitchen cottage

Please let us have Charlotte's pedigree name so that we can see for ourselves.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 06:59:11 am »
Seems as if such things aren't open for scrutiny.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 07:18:58 am »

hes not a mate of the people who had the boar is he sylvia?? ;)

It wouldn't surprise me ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS