Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ducks off lay  (Read 2250 times)

kitchen cottage

ducks off lay
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:34:58 am »
last week I had an egg each every day from each of my five ladies (indian runners) this week NUFFINK  :(  I can't think of anything that would have knocked them off lay.  Any thoughts?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: ducks off lay
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:15:54 am »
My IRs and KCs start to moult and go off lay at this time of year and usually start again at the end og August/beginning of September and lay right through the winter when the hens have stopped. :&> :&>

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:04 am »
Mine slow down / stop this time of year too. The young girls lay through the first winter but not often the second.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:31:25 pm »
That's not slowing down though, it's an emergency stop!

If it's any good to you, our runners all decided to sit, en masse, but then threw the eggs out of the nest when they started hatching "EEEK, Look Mavis! There's something moving in there - quick, kill it!!"

So of course no eggs for the 2 months (oops) they were sitting, no ducklings to show for it, and no eggs since. It's a good job I still find them amusing, or I would.......  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »
Ours have come to a grinding halt too.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 04:57:30 pm »
I just found another nest with 20 eggs - hens' and ducks' mixed and well hidden. Any chance yours could be hiding them somewhere? They're crafty little b*%%£rs, if only they were better as breeders and mums - I can so feel for you, Womble  :wave: :wave: :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS