Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's everyone up to today?  (Read 82427 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What's everyone up to today?
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2012, 11:55:33 am »
I'm sitting at he comuter reading lots of interesting things on TAS again....should be cleaning my house :innocent:
Oh, go read the thread on housework - it makes your house look cleaner  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2012, 12:01:15 pm »
I'm sitting at he comuter reading lots of interesting things on TAS again....should be cleaning my house :innocent:
Oh, go read the thread on housework - it makes your house look cleaner  ;)
[/quote

I bought a new steam cleaner two days ago!...It's still in the box  :innocent:

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2012, 12:42:29 pm »
going in to Ullapool shopping and banking. The wife done 22 meals in the pub yesterday so got money to put in the bank :) :) :)
rob
I am going to live the dream

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »
I am avoiding going outside in the pouring rain to clean out my chickens.  Poor little girls.  Settling down to watch a movie now....(me, not the chickens!)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2012, 12:56:24 pm »
I'm avoiding ther rain as well.  OH went to feed goats and brought Pom into me to be milked to save us both getting wet.  He also took her back out.   :love:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2012, 12:57:39 pm »

Watching the rain outside feeling smug cause all stock was cleaned out yesterday, big horse got his rug on, ducklings were moved out my garage into a stable, spare hen house creosoted and now vacant pig field harrowed.
Anne

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:49 pm »
it's not started raining here yet, but we're expecting it. Have put oil in the car, cleaned the birds out last night  to avoind doing it in the wet and will now quickly water the tunnel and greenhouse (seems silly to do it when it pours, so better now). Not a special day but alright so far  ;) :&>

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2012, 02:10:37 pm »
Been raining here pretty solidly for around 2 hours now NorthFife, (we're half hour south of Edinburgh)  so its on its way to you - it's not lashing but is fairly persistent. Doing indoor chores today  :raining:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2012, 02:45:26 pm »
we did have loads planned, but after taking a long look out at the sunny sky and gale howling in we decided to sack off work for the day and go to the seaside to watch the waves crashing in. Most impressive they were too.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »
Aware the weather is coming so I got up early doors this morning and went out on the pony for a ride. Got back just as the first hint of wind and rain started. Went out to post a parcel, mucked out, poo picked, walked the dogs and did the goosie and chicken water and chicken feed. Brought the horses in early as the big chap is very funny about atmospheric pressure changes and prefers to be tucked up in his poo palace before it gets really bad. I gave him a really thorough groom as being older he is changing his coat big time already whereas my 9yo mare hasnt even considered it yet. 
So three hours earlier than normal I am back indoors with horses in, dogs fed and just the nighttime ritual of dogs and horses to do at bedtime. Quite nice really, fire to light, homemade broccoli quiche and chips for dinner and cosy up with the dogs.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »
My hens are all lovely and clean now.  Rain stopped so i thought i had better get out there.  Now got to cook the pheasant i took out of the freezer, mistakenly thinking it was chicken! ( must use freezer labels that STICK!)

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »
Drying out by the fire now after getting a bit damp feeding up  ::) .  Still pouring here and my poor cows look sad  :( .  Would bring them in to sit by the fire but not sure OH would be too pleased when he gets in from work and there's no room for him  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:08 pm »
It brightened up this afternoon.  Even had a bit of  :sunshine: .  I went with OH into the greenhouse to pick any ripe tomatoes.  Took the secateurs because they are very overgrown and spent a happy twenty minutes cutting back any unnecessary foliage.  It meant losing a few green tomatoes but will let any sun there might be get to the ripening ones.  Got one bed done before I started aching.  Hopefully do the other side tomorrow.

It's amazing how good I felt afterwards.  It's been so long since I've done anything resembling gardening.  Wish I'd gone down this morning because I had a very bad start to the day, feeling depressed and as if there was nothing worth looking forward to.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #208 on: September 26, 2012, 08:37:35 pm »
Hd a bit of 'one of those days' today. Been suffering from a cold (man flu really) that has left me knackered so the morning animal round started late and left me running behind all day. Grabbed a quick nap after lunch but was woken up by one of our farm members coming to collect the weekly veg box for their village.

Quick dash round in the rain to pick runner beans, tomatos, carrots and pears before weighing out some spuds and onions to go with them. Then I decided to try out the new rotavator - a little 'lion cub' for handling the raised beds and intra-row weeding in the field. Nice little runner and turne over one of our beds in about ten minutes.

I stopped the engine and it fell over trying to manouever out of the bed so I grabbed at it and managed to grip the exhaust. Whoops! On to milking the goats with my left hand whilst the right hand held on to an ice pack. Just got a batch of goats cheese on and feeling ready for bed already. Perhaps tomorrow will be better (and drier?)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:52 pm »
Went Christmas shopping today.  This is not me being ultra-organised because I'm not.  My friend is going to Ghana next month to visit mutual friends and offered to take presents out for the three children, the middle one being my goddaughter.  Had a lovely time in Waterstones choosing books for them all. Famous Five for the 8 year old, a sticker book and a book called 'I don't want to go to bed' (very apt) for the 3 years old and the Gruffalo and The Hungry Caterpillar for the baby.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS