Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's everyone up to today?  (Read 82418 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: What's everyone up to today?
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2012, 06:05:01 pm »
I thought my day was quite busy until I read all or yours especially you Plums!!
Our workman came this morning to finish off the plasterboarding of the bathroom, so I was tea and coffee maid, plus runner for anything they wanted upstairs. During that time, I made a load of pastry so that I could make our handyman a Bakewell tart to take home. At the same time, I made a raspberry and apple pie anda cheese and ham quiche. Then this afternoon, I made a large batch of spicy fruited buns, some to go to our workman for a gift, the rest for the freezer. Then I was upstairs in our new bedroom clearing a space for a new wardrobe to go into. This evening, I will be starting to tidy the conservatory which has been out of action since before Christmas as it has been a dumping ground for plasterboard, paint,plaster etc. I cant wait to get it back into operation as its a lovely room and its where our main dining table is situated, and Ive got guests coming next week!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2012, 06:57:37 pm »
Oh - to have my kitchen back..... I'm SOOOO jealous of your wonderful sounding baking Normandy Mary. Instead I found myself washing stuff to cure the bacon with under the waterbutt tap this afternoon  :( :(

I'm here on my own today. OH off working in spain for a day or two, so I can do what I want. Don't seem to have stopped today - just going along doing the next thing that needs to be done without OH either tutting or saying that this or that needs to be done.... BLISS!!!

Started of with usual round of pigs, chickens, dog and polytunnel, rounded up recycling and rubbish, cut the rest of the spare 2x1 for my aviary panel project, cleaned out cockerels, took laundry into town, dropped off recycling, bought a load of eyelet screws for the panel project, lunch at my favourite cafe, bought more wood for the panel project, got home and put dry cure on the last of our bacon. I thought it was a belly but I was pleasantly surprised to discover it's a back. Checked sheep and brassicas. Another round of pigs and chickens.

And on and on.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:18 am »
I'm taking some time out from the field for a couple of days to clear the weeds & brickrubble  (hardcore for my new rabbit shed floor)  to make a 'straw bale garden'  I've never done one before but we've got a boggy wet dip at the bottom of the garden that floods every winter & a few small crappy bales that the pigs haven't trashed yet - So I thought I'd give it a go & maybe my beans will get to more than 6" tall next year  :fc:    And I was inspired by this photo  ;D
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:15 am »
I'm pacing up and down -
the dogs in stage 1 of labour
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15:55 am »
I'm pacing up and down -
the dogs in stage 1 of labour

:fc: :fc:   now I'm excited!! updates and photo's please!

we are plum picking (think we Finally have victorias!!) i am washing sackloads of clothes from our break in Devon and I am trying to come up with a meal that involves vegetables but doesn't involve a trip out shopping to buy anything as I don't think a vegetable has passed these kids lips for about 3 days (chips with everything sadly in our holiday park!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:18 am »
Going to creosote the wood today for my aviary panels (this is becoming a Project with a capital "P"!!!) and try and edit a report I am trying to finish.

Then....... free time until OH returns from Spain this evening. :excited:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

deepinthewoods

« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2012, 09:43:27 am »
last day of summer hols fofr my daughter, so its ironing, sorting out pencilcases, polishing shoes etcetc for me today. great. ::)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2012, 10:09:28 am »
spent the weekend demolishing an old tin clad pole barn (thought I'd better get it done before Sir Issak Newton did the job for me), need to call a scrap man to take away the rubbish old sheets then I can start clearing the site ready to put a concrete pad down for a new structure.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2012, 10:49:02 am »
Mike you may want those rusty old sheets some day, I'd keep them.  We gave a lot to the scrap man in our last place and really regretted it a year or so later.  Handy for ad hoc livestock pens, laying over muddy access routes etc.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2012, 11:01:04 am »
It's  :sunshine:  here today  :excited:
So it's washing, cleaning-out the chook houses & going hedgerow foraging  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2012, 11:06:51 am »
And yes, I'd better get off the computer - was just taking a tea break - have to go out and continue the deconstruction of the super thick stone walls of our kiln house so it can be rebuilt - its like an archaeological dig out there, must put some photos on...
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:51 am »
And yes, I'd better get off the computer - was just taking a tea break - have to go out and continue the deconstruction of the super thick stone walls of our kiln house so it can be rebuilt - its like an archaeological dig out there, must put some photos on...
Ooower  :idea:  me too - not gonna get anything done while I'm on here  :innocent:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2012, 11:46:45 am »
Mike you may want those rusty old sheets some day, I'd keep them.  We gave a lot to the scrap man in our last place and really regretted it a year or so later.  Handy for ad hoc livestock pens, laying over muddy access routes etc.

I have to say I don't really want to get rid of all of them. The problem I face is that the barn is by the house and where I'd have to store the sheets is about 400m away, up a hill of about 50m, and with no vehicular access. I think what I'll do is sort through them and keep the best, some of them are more akin to corrugated rust than actual metal.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2012, 01:59:01 pm »
Goody  :wave:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:00 pm »
last day of summer hols fofr my daughter, so its ironing, sorting out pencilcases, polishing shoes etcetc for me today. great. ::)

Just hang on in there......sanity beckons tomorrow.  My lad went back on Monday and I have been so silly happy.  Just being able to DO stuff without having to feel guilty about not playing with him. The relief :)  Have celebrated with a pack of crappy dairy lea slices.  Can't be bothered to go shopping.  Just want to do what I want to do.  I even enjoyed creosoting the chicken coops this morning.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS