Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BWMB shearing tuition  (Read 5268 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
BWMB shearing tuition
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:34:41 am »
Anyone been on a course run by the BWMB for shearing?  Are they any good?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: BWMB shearing tuition
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:39 am »
Yes. that is how my OH learned to shear. No more waiting for someone else to come and do it. A lot of the skills taught are in handling the sheep because a relaxed sheep is easier to work with. This obviously has a positive knock on effect for other sheep tasks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:33:35 pm by omnipeasant »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:51:15 am »
Omnipeasant, that sounds promising,
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:20:47 am »
I think most of the courses are for machine clipping.  They do say they teach hand shearing too, but they need a certain number of attendees to make it worth while, but there are few folk wanting to learn to hand shear.  That was the situation a few years back anyway.
Be prepared to shear a large number of sheep in a short time  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:00 am »
I did look into this route, and they did have a hand shearing course near me, but I couldnt afford it at the time.  Not sure if the Singing Shearer wants to get into tuition, but he should!!!  He talked me through the various methods and patterns whilst he was handshearing my 12 and encouraged me to try various parts - and yesterday I did the remaining 2.  Took me a while and they dont look as good as his, but they are now done!   I recon a series of 'handshearing for smallholders' up and down the country, 4-6 pupils/course would be popular - I volunteer my place as a North Wales venue........?

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:35:13 pm »
I think if you go on a machine shearing course it will still equip you for hand shearing. The process is the same, just quicker with electric.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:59 pm »
Not sure if the Singing Shearer wants to get into tuition, but he should!!!  He talked me through the various methods and patterns whilst he was handshearing my 12 and encouraged me to try various parts - and yesterday I did the remaining 2.  Took me a while and they dont look as good as his, but they are now done!   I recon a series of 'handshearing for smallholders' up and down the country, 4-6 pupils/course would be popular - I volunteer my place as a North Wales venue........?
I agree wholeheartedly Fiona  :thumbsup:  He's a great shearer and a great teacher  :bouquet:

No handshearing courses anywhere near me when I looked into it.  I would certainly consider hosting a course for Philip in north Cumbria (but we'd need BH's approval - it's his farm! :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:41:45 pm »
My father is a shearing instructor with the BWMB so I know a ittle of what goes on. Anyone, no matter their experience level is welcome on the courses but they are designed around machine shearing rather that hand shearing. This really sould not matter though because the pattern and the foot work for hand clipping and shearing with a machine are exactly the same. The top hand shearers in the world use the same 'Bowen' method that I use when I'm shearing with the machine.
The hand shearing course is not a bad idea though. Try speaking to some one within the BWMB (Donna Mackenzie is the Scottish coordinater) about it. If there is enough demand I'm sure they will be able to find experienced people throughout the country who would give lessons or run courses.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:33:32 pm »
The pattern for Blade shearing is not the same as the Bowen method, there are quite a few differences in the Blade shearing pattern and if you try to shear the sheep with Blades using the machine pattern then you could end up stabbing the sheep! Also there are more than one Blade pattern, I know three and each one has advantages, such as one may be better for a smaller shearer one better for a inexperienced shearer etc

Thanks Fi and Sally, for the recommendations.

Philip :sheep:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:29:30 pm »
Sally - if you go onto one of the WMB shearing courses be prepared for a serious testosterone overload.... on the course I was on I was not only the only female but also the only one (other than the instructors and farmer whose farm they were using) over the age of 25... and those boys had to prove to one another that they were better than the guy (and especially the girl!) next to them...

I also couldn't move for the next few days afterwards... (and that was the time when I was running 10ks...), but my back was seriously sore for a while.

If needed I now do "my own thing", and it works.

IMHO sheep clipping is not a job to get into the other side of 40....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:53:06 pm »
Anke, I've no intention in getting into a Texel ewe manipulating competition with a group of young lads!  Hence why I asked Philip to come and give me some tuition in using the blades on my little 'geeps'. 

We ended up with one I did under Philip's guidance, one Philip did on his own, one BH did and one I did on my own after Philip had gone.

When you ask BH & his mates how they think the shearing went, they look at the sheep.  When you ask me and my mates, we look at the fleeces.  (Dan, we need that spinning wheel emotiwotsit!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 07:18:05 am »
ditto!!!! ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »
I bought my OH a 2 day course for his birthday this year.  :innocent: :innocent:   Now you all know what a nasty piece of work I am - it was his 60th! :o :o He did survive but says it is definitely something to get into when the bones are younger; it is very physically hard.

The tutor was brilliant, and ably supported by his daughter - so there are a few women shearers out there - somewhere...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS