Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swollen teat and warts  (Read 2612 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Swollen teat and warts
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:54:37 pm »
Can anyone advise, please?

I noticed yesterday that Blizzard had a swollen teat and what looks like warts on it. It doesn't seem to bother her as she was quite happy for me to touch it and she seems well in herself. The quarter feels normal.

Any idea what it is, should I be worried and what action should I take?

Thanks

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Swollen teat and warts
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:01:38 pm »
All you ever wanted to read about warty teats...

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/111502.htm

I use this manual as my first point of reference and then decide if we need to speak with the vet.

Hope you find it useful

Sue

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Swollen teat and warts
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:52:09 pm »
It is possible the warts are not related to the swelling at all but just happened to be there when you noticed the swelling. Generally speaking, warts are only anti-aesthetic but not much to be worried about health-wise.

She might have stood on her teat when getting up from the ground, in which case it should go back to normal soon.

If the area (teat and quarter included) increases in size, becomes hard, sore and very warm to the touch then you should worry and call the vet (unless you already have some antibiotic that would cover for mastitis bacteria), but otherwise it should go away by itself.

As usual, keep an eye on it and see how she does!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS