Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mutton  (Read 5548 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
mutton
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:44:54 pm »
hi all
I have a 4 year old ewe which had mastitis and all though recovered will not be fit to breed from again.its fit not fat so am thinking of eating it .Any advise, on will it be nice to eat,how to butcher it and most importantly how would I cook it,slowly I'm thinking
thanks

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: mutton
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:32:06 pm »
Do NOT eat this any sheep over 3 years of age that have suffered with mastitis require serious testing.tasting
But if you message me your details ie location contact number im sure i could do all the testing tasting for you. :innocent:
Sorry but i cant offer any real advice but i love mutton

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:38:40 pm »
What breed is your ewe country soul?   At four years old she should be tasty and still quite tender.  You should still be able to slow roast a gigot if you do it in a covered pot, with a little wine or water to keep it moist, plus plenty of herbs.  Other things to make are curry and other highly spiced dishes cooked in a sauce.  My favourite is burgers - most of my older biddies go for burgers or meatballs, which I make myself with a variety of flavourings, especially hot ones.   North African recipes are often for mutton.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:40:30 pm »
Ive eaten exactly the scenario you described, mainly minced and curried and it was delicious. And any too chewy bits the dogs get as they have 50% raw food.
It was fine if used in this way, and a lot more flavour. Proper meat!

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »
thanks guys for the encouragement ,its a hampshire down ewe and it would be a shame to see it wasted . it seems my worries of being left with a load of horrid meat make be unfounded

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »
We have more mutton customers than lamb customers... I personally prefer lamb but the numbers speak fot themselves :o)
Tagines are good! Yum!

From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:01 am »
i find with older mutton it can get to be very fatty! i tend to take older ones off the bone and cut loads of this fat out. i find the shoulder minces very well and makes the best shami kebabs! let me know if you need any tips on cooking mutton as we have it on the Sunday roast menu regularly! should taste great, very jealous!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:42 am »
Imagine a taste between lamb and beef. That's mutton :yum: :yum: :yum:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:22:17 am »
What breed is your ewe country soul?   At four years old she should be tasty and still quite tender.  You should still be able to slow roast a gigot if you do it in a covered pot, with a little wine or water to keep it moist, plus plenty of herbs.  Other things to make are curry and other highly spiced dishes cooked in a sauce.  My favourite is burgers - most of my older biddies go for burgers or meatballs, which I make myself with a variety of flavourings, especially hot ones.   North African recipes are often for mutton.
Cooked slowly in a covered tin, with dry white wine, garlic and rosemary. Double bloomin' yum yum!!!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:35:08 am »
Interestingly on an american show about diners, a lot of them cover the deep tray with cling film and then foil. I assumed the cling film would melt but it seems to work fine and I guess it keeps all of the moisture in maybe a little like a giant tagine. Havent tried it yet but will when I do my next slow braised mutton!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »
Another vote for old ewe mutton  :thumbsup:

Cook long and slow, be prepared to pour the fat off (yes trim before cooking helps) - but be prepared to be blown away by the flavour.  :yum: :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:37:15 pm »
Another vote for old ewe mutton  :thumbsup:

Cook long and slow, be prepared to pour the fat off (yes trim before cooking helps) - but be prepared to be blown away by the flavour.  :yum: :yum:
it is our favorite roast here, never have any left over sunday night. and the hedgehogs break up the bones by eating all the connective tissue. the family love watching them late at night and the cat steers well clear of hedgehogs!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »
Mutton is very tasty. slow cooking is the answer. Your in for a treat.  :thumbsup:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »
i find with older mutton it can get to be very fatty! i tend to take older ones off the bone and cut loads of this fat out. i find the shoulder minces very well and makes the best shami kebabs! let me know if you need any tips on cooking mutton as we have it on the Sunday roast menu regularly! should taste great, very jealous!  :thumbsup:
Our mutton tends to be Shetland meat so a fine sliver of fat just perfect for roasting and no more. mmm mmm! I would just keep your Down on grass without concentrate which can make them fat until kill time.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 09:56:38 pm »
agree with this - Shetlands store most of their fat round the organs and not in the meaty areas so it is rare that you have to do lots of trimming. Some of the Shetland mutton I have had has been less fatty than some lamb I bought before I had my own sheep. Makes it healthier meat too.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS