Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blasted BT  (Read 7313 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Blasted BT
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 07:41:27 pm »
Bucketman, for me the satellite broadband was £500 for the installation and then is £20 a month. For that I can watch iPlayer but not play online games (schucks  :D)

Vodafone do a gizmo (SureSignal) that takes a broadband signal and gives you a mobile signal in your house. The range isn't amazingly far but at least it's a signal. Still means there's not one in the fields and buildings. Don't know if other mobile providers do them too?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 01:10:40 am »
No one can offer you a faster speed than any one else if you are on the limit.  I go with BT as your talking to the horses mouth in an unbundled exchange.

I had a quote for a leasedline - same as £xx,xxx a year - and that was per year  and they couldnt promise a fater speed than I have now.

Crazy as I have two lines in the house - cant see why they dont send twice as much down over all the available cable and split it when its up here - the line up here is thicker and has more strands tan my electric cable.

They just upgraded my exchange - and althought they have been blaming my 1/4 broadband on the lines - now they have upgraded me I have 3/4 meg!!    Cant quite watch iPlayer - but at least my windows update on Tuesday doesn't take me 3 days.

All this talk of getting people online and into the loop is not working - we sold off our infrastructure years ago - all the government can do is talk - unless there is profit - companies wont install our broadband -and meanwhile we have to submit taxc returns online, we have to reasearch legislaation online, we have to watch tv online, we have to catch up online.  - well Give me the broadband - and I'll earn a frickin living online - just give me some kind of descent connectivity.  Wouldnt be as bad if I could get wireless - but as you all probably know with experience - we get no speeds in the country - we are left out the loop.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 01:13:34 am »
I am pretty sure I made an amplifier ffrom mplins when I was ten from radio shack - get some boosters in these excahnges and ramp up our networks - not rocket science.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 07:22:43 am »
No one can offer you a faster speed than any one else if you are on the limit
if you're getting a system via telephone line yes - if you're getting a satellite system, not so.
Satellites aren't as fast as good cabled systems nor can you load a lot of data - but they are way better, I'm finding, than a bad or non-existent cabled system!

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 07:39:36 am »
It is worth talking to Zen internet if you hate BT as much as I do.  They now do voice lines as well and from the speed BT Openreach (no connection of course with BT just the same logo on the vans and I am trying not to snarl) now mends our line it is pretty clear there is a nice penalty clause in action somewhere.  I think one or two other providers also have BT tied up in penalty clauses from what I have heard.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 08:47:37 am »
It is worth talking to Zen internet if you hate BT as much as I do.  They now do voice lines as well and from the speed BT Openreach (no connection of course with BT just the same logo on the vans and I am trying not to snarl) now mends our line it is pretty clear there is a nice penalty clause in action somewhere.  I think one or two other providers also have BT tied up in penalty clauses from what I have heard.
WILL DO! Havnt tried them, Thanks.  I think I might be blacklisted - cause when I go onto a price comparison site and then click through...it always results in 'sorry we cannot provide a service to this postcode'!!!  Or may be they are just more ethical about taking money for a service they cannot provide.. surely not?!!

There, Ive sent this thread to the Chairman of Openreach.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:02:17 am by FiB »

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 09:00:17 am »
Even third world toilets like Ghana can provide internet, ask any scammer.... :innocent:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 12:13:57 pm »
We live in hope! :fc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-18867017

Bet it don't come near our house !
Mandy :pig:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 05:10:09 pm »
There, Ive sent this thread to the Chairman of Openreach.
  :o Seriously?

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »
I'm close to Manchester yet our broadband with BT was at best 2Mb/s then slipped to 0.7 and finally 0.113 last week.  BT told me there was nothing wrong and that I was getting 8Mb/s which was a complete nonsense. Anyway, some find chap in India kept phoning me back every 48hrs and telling me I was getting the 8 and I'd say 'Not so' so he would say 'Okay what he did usually irked but he'd try something else, give it 24hrs to work'  Now after a week I suddenly find that I am getting almost 6.7Mb/s, where did that come from? It looks like my line has been capable of 6Mb/s for awhile yet until the line developed a fault they just left me struggling with 2Mb/s. 

Seems to me they are just not up to the job.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS