Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ox power.  (Read 2524 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Ox power.
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:03:00 pm »
Just watched some cattle pulling a cart on Countryfile. I found a couple of Ox yokes in the barn and my elderley neighbours tell me that they only ever used Ox to work the land around here ( Limousin). You can buy them at any of the Sunday markets ( Vide Grenier - Empty Granary) and some folk make them into light fittings.
I remember driving across Belgium in the Spring of 1972 ( as a kid) and seing numerous heavy horses being used - I counted just 12 tractors working the land between Ostende and the border near Achen.
Never seen an Ox work the land though - must have been quite a sight in central France.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Re: Ox power.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:13:21 pm »
Would have loved to have seen that too! Horses are probably less hassle to keep now (paperwork etc) if you want 'animal power' for the land I suppose. The highlight of my week as a kid was the milkman coming round on a saturady morning with his horse and cart to collect the money! And I am ONLY 46  :eyelashes: HE was obviously a bit behind the times  ;D

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »
Was he called Ernie?  :P

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:46 pm »

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:43:55 pm »
 :-[ Took me a while but just got that! :o and no he wasn't that fast lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS