Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kune meat  (Read 10895 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
kune meat
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:32:48 am »
several posts have asked if kune kune meat is any good..... i killed my first batch of 7 kks 2 months ago all about 11 months old, ime not convinced that home reared meat is that much tastier, my chickens, ducks etc taste ok ...duck eggs really good but ime was not a huge fan of home reared food. ive now had my pork ribs they were so tender every time i lifted a rid bone to eat it it fell out of the meat a clean as a whistle and was so tender, had the sausages burgers etc all ok. boiled a ham this week, how nice and tender was that so soft etc, ime converted to slow growing pigs etc, looking forward to the other cuts, anyone asking about kk for meat, just get them.

HappyHippy

Re: kune meat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »
 :yum: :thumbsup:
Glad you're enjoying them Harry  :wave:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:26:53 pm »
i had my first KK meat the other day and it was delicious. I was very surprised having been used to the bigger breeds, but i would definately reccomend it
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:36:10 pm »
they are small but delicious ... at least, ours were! :pig:
Little Blue

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 05:25:38 pm »
I have some weaners for sale. Any takers?

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:18:57 am »
These may be stupid questions but I'll embarass myself anyway:

1. do KK make good "baconers"?
2. how much meat would you expect to get back?
3. what would be a "target" live weight before slaughter?
4. Average age to get to no.3?
5. Best time to buy weaners?

Thanking you all :)

Sharon  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:05:30 am »
Lots of people will tell you "no, can't make bacon from a Kunekune"  :-\ but those same folk would probably tell you the meat was rotten and not to waste your time with them  ;) :D

It does take a while for them to grow to a size worthwhile for making bacon - at least a year and more commonly 14-18 months. We've made lovely bacon from Kunekunes at 18months - it was a bit fatty, but the gilts we bought were really fat when they came here and we slimmed them down a bit - but could have done with more weight off them  ;) As long as you don't let them get too fat when growing, it should be fine though  :thumbsup:

Our 'pork' Kunes generally go off around 10-12 months old, around the 60-70 liveweight mark and we get 30-40Kg of pork cuts back. The older ones for bacon were 18 months and deadweights were 100Kg - so their liveweights would have been around 130-140Kg ish.

Because they do take longer to raise for slaughter it's not quite as easy as get in spring, send off in autumn the way you would with most rare breed weaners. But getting them spring/summer time is probably best as this way they'll get the most goodness/use from the grass and they'd be ready to send off the following year.

Only thing I would say though is that Kunekunes will need much more space than standard pigs or you will end up having to suppliment their grass ration and they will end up fatty - half an acre as a minimum for 2, allowing you to rotate too.
HTH
Karen

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:53:50 am »
you can make bacon from any size pig      but the smaller the carcase the smaller the eye of the the rasher
as to kunnie meat being rotten  it would depend on how long it was lying for before you used it             the big thing is what it has been fed on before slaughter  if it was fed on a diet based on cauliflower cabbage and sprouts it will taint the meat
we find that the time and effort never mind the cost to get that small carcase cannot be justified by the qutsie factor alone   but each to there own
as to the largest weight before slaughter that all depends on the slaughter house and what is the maximum size they will take  some have a limit of 90 kilos some will take them to125 kilos others will take sows that are 300kilos   a pig killed and gutted will yield 70% of the original liveweight    minus head trotters and hide it yields about 50% then you have the bones   big pigs have big bones small ones have small bones
the Hampshire's that we have can achieve 120 kilos at six months that is you only keeping them for 4 months if you get them at 8 weeks old and cost per kilo is less than any other pig to produce  decisions decisions decisions :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 08:54:45 am »
kune bacon tastes good, i have had a fair amount now from HH and it has been great...

i don't grow my own so can't comment on time taken or feed etc, all i know is my tastebuds were happy...

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:05:05 am »
be a devil bloomer try something different :innocent:   even it is a saddelback :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 09:07:43 am »
have also had osb and have large black on order, as and when i finally meet you Robert I will no doubt purchase some of your fine pig products too...

I like pork, I like to know where my food comes from after that i'm prepared to experiment...

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 09:14:57 am »
you would be cheaper raising your own or even buying a finished pig
funny you should mention you like to know where your food comes from    supermarket pork is derided always         yet there lamb beef  chicken and even veg is just accepted a weird perspective some folk have :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 09:58:41 am »
we are going off topic, but i like to know where all my food comes from, i don't have land to raise my own yet, but i have ordered a whole pig for the end of the year...

i have lamb and chicken also coming for my freezer from smallholders...

veg i grow a bit myself and otherwise buy as sensibly as i can...

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 05:06:18 pm »
i have wised up with kunes........ my first lot where piglets 8 weeks old killed at 11 months, then someone advertised 3 x 5 month olds free to good home so i took them........ they had a good home for 6 months then went.......... then i heard of 2 kunes 1 year old free...people buy them as pets then find it was a big mistake. and just want to get rid of them. these 2 are now 15 months old and have cost me £20 in feed so will go for bacon and sausages in a few more months.there are plenty of kunes free at about 6 - 12 months old...... i told people of about 12 in my area as i couldnt take them....stick an add in your local free ads and you will get some. free to good home i tell them they will free range for 6-12 months then will be butchered if they ask but genarly they dont want to know.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 10:45:12 pm »
Is there a "past by" age when their meat would be too fatty/tough?

Does eating them count as a "loving home" as that's where most advertisers want them to go....  :-J

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS