Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TAFE Tractors  (Read 11933 times)

Fife crofter

• Joined May 2012
TAFE Tractors
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:33:57 am »
I am thinking of purchasing a TAFE tractor (35DI Classic) after having seen it reviewed in the NFU Countryside magazine (May 2012). Its main use with be to top / maintain my c20 acres of grassland as well as a few other tasks (eg powering a log splitter, winch, etc)..

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) of the TAFE make?

Many Thanks.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: TAFE Tractors
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:07 pm »
Well it's just my opinion but if you want an MF35 get an original for which bits are easily available.  My local MF dealer says that not all the MF bits fit the Tafe, but he's going to say that isn't he?

I can't quite see why a modern Indian version of a British classic is interesting.

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:42:10 am »
I imagine it is of interest because, if you're not particularly into old tractors, then for the price ot a 50 year old well used one, you can have a brand new one, which is MEANT to be more or less the same.
I'm assuming stuff from India is better quality now than it used to be. After all they now manufacture Landrovers. (Though I shan't be buying one!)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:21:43 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »
When I looked a couple of years ago the Tafe wasn't exactly cheap at somewhere north of £8k, so a lot more than the Chinese tractors but with the same questions over support. 

I'd have thought that £8k got you a completely rebuilt vintage MF plus a skip full of spares but I'm no expert.  However to spend that money on something which isn't what it's based on to me feels like buying a new Morris Minor but built out of someone else's parts bin 5,000 miles away.

I'd be looking at a s/h Kubota or Iseki for that money. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:35:03 pm »
I would like to see a Taffe Tractor and am genuinely interested in how it would perform. Got a lot of time for the the way Indians do things. Have been there a couple of times and want to go again. Plenty of Indian business around these parts have family farms back in India and I natter them about visiting one, unfortnately they do not take me seriously.
The main thing that struck me about India, and what I liked was that they still operate the old British administration system that our lot chucked out when we joined Europe in the 1970s' as the Common Market. I bet they can build old Masseys every bit as good as Coventry and France ever did, can Corus (Indian) supply the quality steel required ?
India has a lot going for it, unfortunately we still send aid when there is as much need for it here .
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Simple Simon

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:03:16 am »
A country of stark contrasts.  You're right about the administration system but what they've retained is the stifling bureaucracy which employs a vast number of people across whose desks your piece of paper has to travel in the correct sequence.  The system is more important than the function it is supposed to provide.

My muted enthusiasm for the country was completely finished by that terrorist attack.  Security in the hotel was completely notional anyway - they had metal detectors and x-ray scanners but they weren't used.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS