Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed Wiper  (Read 14271 times)

Re: Weed Wiper
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »
Roundup - even in the 360 and 540 strengths we sell will struggle with bracken and brambles.

There is a product used by utility companies (for clearing railway embankments, motorway embankments etc) This product is called Timbrel and is specifically for these woody weeds.

Its licence was due to expire this year but has been extended by the government for a further two years as there is no like for like alternative.

We had removed this ftom our site due to the licence issue, but will be adding it again in the next couple of days. It comes in 3L containers.

There is nothing better for brambles and Bracken.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 11:17:31 am »
Landroverroy, did you ever get a weed wiper?  I am after a largeish hand held one too to treat around the paddock edges, farmbuildings etc.  I don't want to spray as we have water courses closeby but bushcutting/strimming just isn't effective enough especially this year - everything seems to be crossed with a trifid!  Any feedback appreciated.
No I never actually got one.
However I can endorse what Robert says about using Roundup around water courses. We've used it on a large pond for eradicating reeds, having carefully researched it first, and it only affects plants.
I was looking for a tractor drawn weedwiper as we have several acres of bracken. In the end we chopped it and raked up and baled the  bits, as bracken is poisonous to livestock, even when dried and dead.
Possibly in spring (if I'm feeling energetic :sunshine: :sunshine: ) I'll try some of your suggestions like thickened glyphosate applied with a glove/paintbrush/mop onto the new fronds and zap them before they take over again.
So watch this space for published results :fc:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Dai

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 03:25:01 pm »
Hi i am looking for a logic weed wiper for sale any body got one.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »
weed wipers are worth their weight in gold, we have used the logic one and the quad-x both with good results, I normally use the chemical mix called polo with great results on rashes

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 09:37:16 pm »
Wow! Had virtually forgotten that I started this post nearly 5 years ago.
I never did get a weed wiper, though I still would like one at the right price. We got rid of most of the bracken in the first year by cutting and baling it and then grazing with cattle, which I think damaged the young shoots as they came through. The gorse bushes we pulled out with the tractor, and we've now got 6 acres of decent pasture.
But thanks for your post Brewster. I may still get a weed wiper if I see a suitable one as I've still got plenty of use for one with the thistles and nettles that keep reappearing.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS