Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: just an intro  (Read 6096 times)

puffin

• Joined May 2009
just an intro
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:40:04 am »
hullo there

just found this place so i thought i'd register quick-sharp!  i'm not a small holder (just yet) more of a balcony-grower but will be avidly reading and learning from you guys n girls for when my time comes.

at the moment i'm living in germany (working for the naafi, for the forces/ex-forces people out there) and have a small flat with a nice south facing balcony that tends to look like a jungle at cretain times of the year  ;D.  looks like i'm going to start late this year due to some uncertainty over what i'll be doing ver the next 6-8 months but with some luck and good planning (well, by my standards anyway...) all should work out well.

reet, thats about it really

thanks for reading

Rob A.K.A puffin

ps, i'm puffin on other forums and have a memory akin to a stoned goldfish so i keep my name the same  :D if your on anyother forums and see puffin there's a fair chance its me :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: just an intro
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:39:36 am »
welcome to tas forum, you'll have to show us some photos of your 'garden'

:)
linz central scotland

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:56:06 am »
As one who could probably manage to grow weeds even on a balcony, I admire any one who is able to produce anything else.  Welcome. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 12:08:34 pm »
Hi and welcome from a sunny, windy Alloa.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:24:09 pm »
Welcome from Normandy also.  It is amazing just what you can produce in a restricted space.  Herbs, salads, chillies, peppers , cucumbers, runner beans and the like and of course potatoes in pots and buckets. I used to do really well in a small space in pots. My problems is no time for weeding in a big space.  The weeds do my head in actually.  Perhaps I should go back to gardening on a postage stamp - I am sure to have a lot more to show for my efforts doing it that way than my efforts here to date!!

Let us know how you go!!

Kate  :pig: :farmer:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

puffin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 11:16:08 pm »
thanks for the welcome everyone!

my "garden" last year produced some tom's, a sporadic supply of peppers & a few bowls of strawberries which were great for brekkie!  the tom's/strawberries didnt produce to much to be honest, i was a bit lax in the old pinching out  :-\ but its a lesson learnt  ;D!

i managed to make a good few jars of chutney with the tom's that didnt ripen in time and shared my, all be it meagre, harvest with m' folks when i went to visit, so it was a minor success.  more importantly it has whetted my appetite for more, so here's hoping for bigger n better this year.  as for some pic's, with a bit of luck, a pinch of witchcraft and the grace of any Deity you Fancy i might just get some on here!  hahaha

the plan this year, although i'm running late (was a possibility to get out to Afghan for 6 months), is something long the lines of:

Tom's (cherry and beef)
Capsicums (giant and std)
Peas
Beans
Strawberries
Jalapenos (maybe...)

still, wait n see i guess!  no doubt i'll bore you all with sporadic updates and, possibly, some pic's...

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 06:39:04 am »
And all I grow is weeds and pigs.  Puts me to shame.

puffin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:11:11 am »
your balcony must be hugue for pigs!!!!  lmao

i know where to come when/if i ever get some space for some pigs now, thanks!  as or weeds, yeh, i had a few nettles in with my strawberries last year.  not bad considering i'm on the 2nd floor!  i kinda figured "well done" and left them to it, lol, got a bit akward sometimes when picking.... hahaha

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 06:18:23 pm »
We dont keep the pigs on the balcony - just look at my avatar ..... lol

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:45:34 pm »
Nettle soup maybe?  Welcome by the way!

puffin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »
there were only a couple of nettles, not enough for soup, or beer...  :-[

did cross my mind though, i am a fan!  of both :)

puffin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 12:12:20 am »
here, by the grace of any diety you fancy, are somepic's of my balcony...

the balcony 1.  this year, if all goes to plan, will be much better  :)

the balcony 2

what i had at the time of visiting my folks.  made a small but nice side salad with tea  ;D. the rest was swiftly munched as it ripened, hahaha
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:51:18 am by puffin »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 05:48:02 pm »
They look lovely bright fruits - an inspiration to me since mine don't seem to be growing very fast yet.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS