Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Peaking Duck  (Read 1498 times)

martel

• Joined Feb 2012
Peaking Duck
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:04:56 am »
Hi friends I am considering having a few peaking ducks a dozen or so  on the farm for meat can any one advised will I need to create a pond for them to swim or can i have them on hard land  and i can i feed them the same way I do chickens in a chicken house all caged up
thanks
martel jamaica

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Peaking Duck
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »
Martel, if you repost this in the poultry section you might get the answers you need  . :innocent:

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
Re: Peaking Duck
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »
Yes, should be posted in Poultry, not Cattle. I don't know if Dan or Rosemary can move it for you.

Anyway, a brief answer is "no": ducks will certainly appreciate a pond if you provide one, but they don't actually need one. What you really must do is make sure they have access to water deep enough for them to be able to get their heads in so they can "snort" water through their nostrils.

Ducks will happily eat Layers' Pellets like hens, but I don't think I've ever come across ducks being kept caged up: even the commercial flocks I've seen have had access to roam on grassland during the daytime.

If they're for meat, you might also consider something like Aylesburys - they're bigger and meatier than Pekins.

Be warned that ducks are very messy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS